The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Name some ways (referred 7) of what motivates people to study the ocean back then?
- -finding a new place to live
- -conquesr new lands for the country
- -trade/ acquire more resources from other countries
- -to create more routes so that it can be easier to travel
- -to find food
- -explore and discover to expand knowledge
- -for national pride
What motivates people to study ocean today?
- -to discover marine life
- -harvest natural resources
- -asses human impact. (How are we screwing up our planet?)
- -Minimize human impact (save lives and to be prepared for natural disasters.
How were the phoenicians, arabs and polynesians similar to each other?
each conducted trade
Why did greeks want to explore?
B/c of serpents and singing sirens.
What's so important about erastosthenes?
calculates the circumference of the earth.
What's so important about ptolemy?
Helped establish bounderies, including longitudes, latitudes which were used for 1200 years
What's so important about the vikings?
They explored Atlantic and settled in greenland and iceland. Made improvements with ship designs.
What's so important about the arabs?
gained more knowledge of winds and currents and established trade routes in Indian Ocean
What's so important about the Middle Ages?
Navigation improved as charts began to document hazards and mileage scales.
(used portolanus which are charts that included mileage scales)
What's so important about the chinese?
- very isolate.
- voyages were not very prevelent
What's so important about the europeans
driven by national pride
greedy. wanted more land, gold and goods
What's so important about the christopher columbus
- led 4 expeditions to find better routes.
- Landing in the carribeans when he thought he was in india
What's so important about Magellan
- mission was to sail around the world
- killed by the philippines.
Expedition was a success...but he did not make it.
What's so important about Francis Drake?
- funded by Q.E. to sail proudly with the british flag.
- attacked spanish vessels and stole golds and goods
- Q.E. knighted him