Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the differences in layout between a developed city
and a developing city?
- The layout of developing world cities is much less regular
- than that of a developing world city. Land uses are less well-segregated for
- two main reasons. Planning controls are much weaker. Explosive growth has mean
- that newcomers take over any unused land for their homes, These people are
- called squatters ; squatter settlements consist of slum housing , which grows
- into shanty towns wherever there is enough unused land within the city or
- without if not . The layout of developing cities therefor varies from city to city.
- Unlike developing cities the function of a developed city does not include
- squatter settlements. Unlike developed cities developing cities have wedges. In
- developed cities the further you are away from the CBD the more expensive the
- housing tends to be , but the larger the homes tend to be , however in developing
- cities expensive housing is from the edge of the CBD outwards in a wedge to the
- rural urban fringe
What are the differences in land use between a developed
city and developing city?
- In developing cities some of the land is used for modern
- factories however in developed cities the factories are located in the inner
- city which tends to be run down there for the factories are old and sometimes abandoned.
- In developed cities some land has no uses, especially in inner cities, there is
- derelict land around sidings, unused docks and canals, in developing cities
- there is no spare land, any spare land is used for illegal squatter settlements
- which only developing cities consist of
why do sqautter settlements develop
- Because there is a lot of extreme poverty in developing
- cities and people are left to fend for themselves without financial support
- from the government . the main reason why there is so much poverty is because there
- has been rapid urbanisation in developing countries due to a lack of job
- opportunities in the countryside , so people have moved to the city for jobs in
- the CBD where there are very low paid jobs such as shoe cleaning , but even
- this is better than nothing for the poor , however it still means that people
- can not afford to buy or rent houses so decide to build their own homes but
- cannot afford the materials needed to build the house so they use any scraps of
- material that they find
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview