HUM: Aesthetic Perception and Response
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are tied together through formal elements?
Abstract ideas and concrete images
How are form and content related?
Artistic form reveals the content
List the 7 formal elements?
- luminosity or value
list the 5 priciples of art?
- unity and variety
- focal point
- repetition/ rhythm/ pattern
symmetrical or formal and asymmetrical or informal
center of interest, where our eyes are drawn first
creates rhythm and patterns within the work
movement- the way our eyes move through the work
the art of representing or illustrating an abstract idea by pictures, figuresm images, symbolic representation
what are two different kinds of iconography?
- universal symbols
- personal iconographic images
the artist selects and arranges the elements so that they work together for the artist's expressive purpose
What is the structural framework of guernica?
- two rectangles and a large center triangle
- the side of the triangle and the lamp lead your eye to the apex of the triangle
- no obvious signs of cruzifixion or guernica; just symbols and iconography
formal dimensions of guernica
- the horse is the focal point
- curved lines dominate
- repetition of oval adn triangle create rhythm
- asymmetrical balance- visual and psychological weight
Paintings explore human experience (3 examples)
- events- actual or imaginary
- ideas and actions
- emotions and motivations
What ethinicity was Picasso and where did he live?
- he was Spanish
- he lived in Paris
What the work of art "means"
guernica uses two stories to illuminate the theme of sacrifice and redemption, list them
- the crucifixion
- the bullfight
What does the almond shape mean in Guernica?
- the bleeding heart of God
- Catholic theolog: shown in the breast of the virgin Mary
the stigmata displayed in the hands of the people in Guernica?
visible wounds of Christ that appear in the flesh of the saints before they die
the pieta in guernica
the virgin holding the dead body of Christ (as a baby)
the falling bird
the human soul
the gaping mouths in Guernica
"My God, My God. Why hast thou forsaken me."
making art requires three things
- technical ability
- dedicated work
what is art about?
- telling a story
art invites what from an audience?
Responding to art is what?
- both emotional and intellectual
how is art about form?
the organization fo elements
Give 4 definitions of art
- the communication of an idea between creator and observer. It is the visual form of communication
- any creation made by humans that reflects human experience of emotion. It must be independent of pre-existing art and must be of above average creativity, not achievable by ordinary men or women
- anything created by a talented artist. neesd to be unique, eveident that the artist spent time adn put thought into the piece, should be visually appealing to the audience
- an intentional creation that represents a though, feeling, or idea
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview