Card Set Information
Vocab for the World Lit Final
temporary inactivity, cessation, or suspension
1. a cleansing with water or other liquid, esp. as a religious ritual.
2. the washing of the hands, body, etc.
1. hard to understand; recondite; esoteric
2.Obsolete. secret; hidden
1.expert or nimble in the use of the hands or body.
2. cleverly skillful, resourceful
a terse saying embodying a general truth, or astute observation
1. inclined; disposed; given; prone
3. unusually intelligent; able to learn quickly and easily
1. great warmth of feeling; fervor; passion
2.intense devotion, eagerness, or enthusiasm; zeal
1. an appointment for a meeting, esp. a lover's secret rendezvous.
2. the act of assigning; assignment.
insatiable greed for riches; inordinate, miserly desire to gain and hoard wealth.
indecent; lewd; obscene
inclined or eager to fight; aggressively hostile; belligerent; pugnacious.
to soil; tarnish; discolor.
a woman's bedroom or private sitting room.
to grow or develop quickly; flourish
1. to engage in a drunken revel
2. to drink deeply and frequently.
capable of burning, corroding, or destroying living tissue.
characterized by, done in, or executed with secrecy or concealment,
esp. for purposes of subversion or deception; private or surreptitious
a feeling of uneasiness or anxiety of the conscience caused by regret for doing wrong or causing pain; contrition; remorse.
a destructive fire, usually an extensive one.
1. artfully or affectedly shy or reserved; slyly hesitant; coquettish.
2. shy; modest.
3. showing reluctance, esp. when insincere or affected, to reveal one's plans or opinions, make a commitment, or take a stand
amusing in an odd way; whimsically humorous
not following any one system, as of philosophy, medicine, etc., but
selecting and using what are considered the best elements of all
a castrated man, esp. one formerly employed by Oriental rulers as a harem guard or palace official.
pretended; sham; counterfeit:
strikingly bold; conspicuously dashing and colorful
a minor weakness or failing of character; slight flaw or defec
causing fear, apprehension, or dread
of discouraging or awesome strength, size, difficulty, etc.; intimidating
taken, done, used, etc., surreptitiously or by stealth; secret
a general discharge or outpouring of anything, like maybe firearms
to express a servile attitude;to bend the knee or touch one knee to the floor in reverence or worship.
1. the remote or less developed parts of a country; back country
2. the area of land behind a coastal region
lacking variety; boring; dull
quality or condition of being inept
inertness, esp. with regard to effort, motion, action, and the like; inactivity; sluggishness
1. of or pertaining to conflict or struggle within a group
2. mutually destructive
annoying; irritating; exasperating; tiresome
inclined to lustfulness; wanton; lewd
bending readily; pliant; limber; supple; flexible
1. gruesome and horrifying; ghastly; horrible.
2. of, pertaining to, dealing with, or representing death, esp. its grimmer or uglier aspect.
generous in forgiving an insult or injury; free from petty resentfulness or vindictiveness
1. to chew
2. to reduce to a pulp by crushing or kneading, as rubber
taking or showing extreme care about minute details; precise; thorough
1. wealth, riches, or affluence
2. abundance, as of resources or goods; plenty.
1.a film or incrustation, usually green, produced by oxidation on the
surface of old bronze and often esteemed as being of ornamental value.
2. a similar film or coloring appearing gradually on some other substance.
1. ostentatious in one's learning
2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, esp. in teaching.
to be diffused through; pervade; saturate
a deadly or virulent epidemic disease.
brief, forceful, and meaningful in expression; full of vigor, substance, or meaning; terse; forcible
utterly and shamelessly immoral or dissipated; thoroughly dissolute.
a landing place, esp. one of solid masonry, constructed along the edge of a body of water; wharf.
the most perfect embodiment of something.
1. the ninth month of the Muslim calendar
2. the daily fast that is rigidly enjoined from dawn until sunset during this month.
1. having a pleasant odor; fragrant.
2. odorous or smelling
a round of fire given as a salute
1. of, characteristic of, or resembling a serpent, as in form or movement.
2. having a winding course, as a road; sinuous
the state of being solicitous; anxiety or concern
1. morally ignoble or base; vile
2. dirty or filthy; squalid
foul and repulsive, as from lack of care or cleanliness; neglected and filthy
to bring under complete control or subjection; conquer; master.
full of juice; juicy
luxuriously fine or large; lavish; splendid
reckless boldness; rashness.
1. slow; dull; apathetic; lethargic
2. inactive or sluggish.
1. oppressively hot, parching, or burning, as climate, weather, or air.
1. an unguent or ointment; salve.
2. something soothing or comforting
to seize and hold (a position, office, power, etc.) by force or without legal righ
1. a state of indecision or irresolution
2. unsteady movement; fluctuation
1. done, shown, used, etc., maliciously or unjustifiably
2. deliberate and without motive or provocation; uncalled-for; headstrong; willfu