The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is microbiology Microbiology
study of small living things.
What are Microbes, and where do they exist?
independent life forms, both prokaryotic and eukaryotic, and exist free living in the environment, or colonize a host.
Microbes and metabolism
they are metaboliccaly diverse, and improtant in NUTRIENT cycling, ex huge in the soil and water
Chemotroph vs phototroph
chemotrophs- get energy from chemicals, phototrophs get energy from light.
Origin of life
microbes are the oldest forms of life on Earth and they created an oxygenated atmosphere.
Bacteria can act as a symbiont.
examples are other microbes, plants, invertebrates, insects, animals (Ruminants)
Structure of major Bacterial components.
- Cytoplamic membrane
- Cell wall
- -Gram + vs Gram - bacteria
Procaryotes vs Eucaryotes
- SIZE (.1-3 micro meter) smaller than eukaryotes 5micro metter
- NO membrane bound organnells
- lack nucleus, mitochondria, ER, golgin ect.
Genomes Bacterial vs Eukaryotik
- -haploid (no diploid)
- -one chromosome of dbl stranded, super-coiled circular DNA
- -no nuclear membrane
- -free DNA in cytoplasm (reion is called nucleoid)
- -organized in 40-50 coiled loops
- small circular DNA that is extra chromosomal DNA
- may confer antibiotic resistance
- toxicity/virulenc genes