The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the distinction between medical risk and medical malpractice?
differentiate a recognized complication of a medication or procedure from negligence
What are the three places in which liability lies?
- physician error
- injury related to drug
- injury related to medical or hospital personnel
Delayed diagnosis or therapy, indicated procedures not performed, misdiagnosis, improperly performed procedure are all examples of ______ ______.
Overdose, inadequate dose, improper route of administration, allergic reaction, wrong drug, and wrong patient are all examples of ??
injury related to drugs
Improper or delay of performance of duties, misidentification of patient, delay in notifying physician of complications, and failure to properly monitor the patient are all examples of ??
injury related to medical and hospital personnel
Is medical malpractice covered in criminal or civil law?
True or False: Malpractice law does not deal with intentionally unsafe acts.
To prevail, the plaintiff must prove 3 things. What are they?
- 1. That the doctor owed a duty to the plaintiff
- 2. That the doctor breached this duty by failing to adhere to the standard of care
- 3. This breach of duty caused injury to the patient
What are the social goals of the malpractice system?
- -to deter unsafe practices
- -to compensate the persons injured by the negligence
- -to exact corrective justice
Who acts as the system's gatekeeper?
_______ _______ is what a reasonable and prudent physician would have done under the circumstances.
How can doctors avoid or defend a malpractice suit?
- -practice defensive medicine