American Revolution- 3
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What was the Continental Congress?
- 1) Washington named commander in chief of the Continental Army
- 2) Olive Branch Petition sent to king George 3, but colonists are rebuffed (Thomas Paine's- wrote Common Sense)
- 3) The Declaration of Independence
Colonists take sides- What percentage did the Tories/ Loyalists? Patriots? Neutral?
- Tories/ Loyalists 20%
- Patriots 40%
- Neutral 40%
What were Patriots?
Colonists who wanted independence
What were Loyalists/ Tories?
Colonists who wanted to remain British
What year was the Treaty of Paris?
What was the Treaty of Paris?
- America independence recognized
- US agrees to compensate loyalists for property seized during the war
- Britian agrees to abandon its forts in the northwest territory (northwest of the Ohio River)
What was stated in the Treaty of Paris but never done?
- US never repays loyalist for lost property
- Britain never abandons territory
What were military strengths for US?
- Familiarity of home ground
- Leadership of Washington and other officers
- Inspiring cuase of independence
What were military strengths for Britain?
- Strong, well- trained army and navy
- Strong central govern with available funds
- Support of colonial Loyalists and Indians
What were the military weakness for Britain?
- Large distance separating Britain from battlefields
- Troops unfamiliar with terrain
- Weak military leaders
- Sympathy of certain British politicians for the American cause
What were the military weakness for US?
- Most soldiers untrained and undisciplined
- Shortage of food and ammunition
- Inferior navy (no offical navy)
- No central government to enforce wartime peace
What was the #1 strength for US?
Inspiring cause of independence
What was the #1 strength for Britain?
Strong, well- trained army and navy
What was the #1 weakness for Britain?
Sympathy of certain British politicians for the American cause
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview