Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How do we determine average isotopic mass?
- multiply the mass of the element by its relative abundancy
- *** if there are multiple isotopes, after multiplying, add them together***
What is the problem with weighing out atoms?
What is the solution
- not possible
- we come up with moles, a collection of individual things put together
What is Avogadro's Number?
ONe mole of any substance contains 6.022 x 1023 formula units
What is molar mass?
- the mas in grams of one mole of any element
- numerically equivalent to its atomic mass
What is a nuclear equation?
a reaction that changes an atomic nucleus
In a nuclear equation, the:
__ does not change
__ determines what element it is
- mass #
- # of protons and elections
- # of protons
Comparisons between Nuclear and Chemical Reactions
- changes an atom's nucleus, usually producing a different elementInvolves only a change in the way that different atoms are combined
- Different isotopes of an element have completely different behavior in nuclear reactionsDifferent isotopes of an element have essentially the same behavior
The energy change accompanying a nuclear reaction is far greather than that accompanying a chemical reaction
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview