Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is an Ecosystem?
- ◦A Ecosystem is al the interacting parts of a biological community and it's enviorment.
- ◦E.g.- Sahara Desert, Rain forest.
What is a sustainable ecosystem?
This is an ecosystem that is capable of withstanding pressure and giving suppourt to a variety of organasims.
What does the word Biotic mean?
- ◦Biotic means the living parts of an ecosystem
- .E.g.- Animals, plants, micro organasims, Fungi, bacteria, Ect...
What does the word Abiotic mean?
- The non living parts of an ecosystem.
- E.g.- Water, sunlight,light Ect...
What is the earths four spheres?
What is the LithoSphere?
- ◦The LithoSphere is the hard part of the earths surface.
- ◦E.g.-Rock and Dirt.
What is the Hydro Sphere?
The hydro sphere is all the water on the earth including lakes. oceans and ground water.
What is the atmosphere?
- ◦This is the layer of gases above earths surface.
What is the Bio Sphere?
The reigons of the earth where living organasims exist.
What are Nutrients?
Nutrients are a chemical that is essential to living things and is cycled through the ecosystems.
What is Eutrophication?
This is a process in which nutrient levels in aquatic ecosystems increases leading to aan increase in the popoulation of primary producers.
What is photosynthesis?
This is a process that changes solar energy into chemical energy.
- In brackets means towords the bottom right of the letter and smaller then the letter.
- Equation= 6CO(2) + 6H(2)-----> C(2)
- H(12) O(6) + 6O(2).
What is Trophic Level?
Trohic level is a category of organasims that is defined by how the organasims gain their energy.
What is tropical Efficiency?
- Trophical efficiency is a mesure of the amount of energy or biomass transfered from one trophic leve to the next higher trophic level.
- When an animal eats another animal the animal only gets 10% energy from the animal. This is because the other animal uses energy and it could be because the curret animal didn't eat the whole animal.
What is biomass?
Biomass is defined as being the total mass of living organasims in a defined group of area.
What does the word bioaccumulation mean?
Bioaccumulation is a process in which materials especiallyy toxins are ingested by an organasim at a rate greater then they are elimnated.
What is Biomagnification?
Biomagnification is the increase in the concentration of a toxin as it moves from one trophic level to the next.
What is cellular resperation?
Cellurlar resperation is a process that releases energy from organic molecules, especially carbohydrates, in the presence of oxygen. (Aerobic)
What is Fermentation?
This is process that releases energy from organic molecules, especially carbohydrates in the absense of oxygen.(Anerobic)
What are green house gases?
- They are atmosoheric gases that prevent heat from leaving the atmosphere, thus increasng the tempature of the atmosphere.
- The green house gases are- Water vapor,Carbon Dioxide and methane.
What is Green house affect?
Green house effect is the warming of earth as a result of green house gases, which trap some of the energy that would otherwise leave earth.
What is Acid precipitation?
Acid precipitation is rain, snow, or fog that is unnaturally acidic due to gases in the atmosphere that react with water to form acids.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview