Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the characteristics of a Acer Macrophyllum ( big leaf maple)??
- Leaves - opposite very large, 5 lobes, dark green
- Buds- very large terminal bud, greenish to reddish
- Fruit- Samara
- Bark- grayish brown, shallowly furrowed
Characteristics if a Acer Glabrum ( douglas maple)?
- Its a shrub
- Leaves- opposite 3-5 lobes , coarsely toothed, dark green top- grayish green bottom
- Fruit- Samara sharp V < 45 degrees
- Buds- Blunt smooth visible red
- Bark- smooth reddish-brown
What are the characteristics of a Acer Circinatum ( vine maple)??
- Leaves- opposite 7-9 lobes sharp single or double teeth
- Buds- terminal bud lacking
- Fruit- Samara extremely wide
- Bark- greenish becomin reddish brown smooth sometimes shallow cracks
What is the characteristic Cornus nuttallii (pacific flowering dogwood) ?
- Leaves- opposite oval pointed toothed edge
- Flowers- white flowers 4-6 white leaves surround a cluster 30- 40 small green flowers
- Berries - dark red berries
- Bark- smooth & gray small plates with age
- Buds- globular 1 pair scales covered in white hairs
What are the characteristics of Cornus stolonifera ( red osier dogwood) ?
- Leaves - opposite Smooth pinnate
- Berries- white, black clusters
- Twig- reddish green deep green reddish
What are the characteristics of Quercus garryana ( garry oak)?
- Leaves - Alternate 5-7 lobes rounded shiny dar green
- bumps- gall wasps
- Buds- lateral , terminal bud elongated , scales narrow
- , smooth, densley harry, light brow
- Size- Small trees up to 20m high, 150cm diameter
- Form- numorous knobby twisty branches
What are the charecteristics of Malus fusca? (Pacific Crab Apple)
- Fruits- smaller, 12-20mm long, longer than wide, red or yellow will red patches, not waxy
- Bark- young (rough and scaly), mature (large flat scales)
- Leaves -alternate, pinnate egg shaped irregular lobs toothed
What are the characteristics of the Cratagaeus douglassii (Black Hawthorne)
- Height- 11m
- Leaves- small 2-8cm long, coursley double toothed to shallowly lobbed , almost hairless
- Thorns- short, usually less than 3cm long
- Fruits- ovoid, 8-10cm across, dark reddish purple to black
What are the characteristics of the Prunus Emarginata (Bitter Cherry)?
- Leaves- oval, 3-4cm long, taper to base, tip round/wedge, yellowish green, hairless beneath, spreds from twig
- Buds- Larger 3-4 mm pointed
- Twigs- Downy becoming smooth, dark red
- Flowers- in clusters of 5-12
- Fruit- 6-15mm across, bright red,dark red when ripe (jun-aug)
- Bark- bitter taste accentulated
What are the characteristics of the Rhamnus purshiana (cascara)?
- Leaves- alternate 4-16 cm long, short blunt, round base, fine toothed, undersurface slightly hairy, parallel veins, 10-15 pairs
- Buds- small, no scales, rows of 4, terminal bud present
- Twigs- slender, yellow, hairy, redishbrown, leaf scars cresent shaped, raised, scattered veins
- Fruit-berry like, blackish rounded with small nutlets
- Bark- thin, smooth, dark greyish brown, becomes scaly
What are the characteristics of the Populus balsamifera (bulsam poplar)?
- Leaves- stalk long 7-10cm, warty glands may be present
- Buds- terminal large buds, up to 25cm, margins hairless round
- Twigs- round, reddish brown turning orange then grey
- Flowers- pollen catkins 7-10cm long
- Fruit- mature seed catkins- 10-13cm, capsuls ovoid, larger, hairless 6-7cm long splitting in 2 when mature
What are the characteristsics of the Arbutus mensiezii ( Arbutus)?
- Leaves- simple oval evergreen thick leathery alternate pinnate
- Buds- terminal bud green pointed over lapping scales
- Flowers- white strong honey due odour branched clusters
- Fruits- berry-like orange red
- Bark- think smooth reddish brown peeling in papery flakes
What are the characteristics of the Alnus Rubra ( red alder)?
- Leaves- oval- rhombic pointed bright green double toothed almost lobed veins form ladder like pattern
- Buds- green 2 or 3 hairy scales
- Flowers- pollen catkins small clusters at shoot tips visible in winter
- Fruits- mature catkins short stalked abundant nutlet long narrow or wing encircled
- Bark- smooth light gray usuallt almost white with lichens separating into irregualr flat plates with age
What are the characteristics of the Salix lucida ( pacific willow)?
- Leaves-alternate lance shaped tip often long pointed and twisted
- finely toothed
- Buds- stout , light reddish brown
- Flowers- catkins short leafy shoots appear with leaves
- Bark- gray brown furrowed broad flat scaly plates