Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
study of cells, tissue, and organs at the microscopic level
What are the different ways to process tissue?
- fix: crosslink protein and maintain tissue architecture
- dehydrate: remove water
- embed: infiltrate/embed tissue with hard material that can be cut into thin slices
- section: cut thin slices of embedded tissue
- stain: either in light microscopy or electron microscopy
What are the different kinds of staining and their uses?
- light microscopy:
- histochemical for reactive chemical groups such as charge (i.e. Hematoxylin and Eosin = H&E);
- immunocytochemical (i.e. with antibodies for specific antigens)
- electron microscopy:
- osmium for transmission E.M. = ultra-thin sections of detailed subcellular structure
- gold/metal coating for scanning E.M. = 3D-like image
a group of similar cells and surrounding extracellular matrix and extracellular fluid
What are the four major basic tissue types?
- connective tissue
- nervous tissue
groups of tissues that act together to carryout specific bodily functions
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview