A disease proces of hardening or narrowing of the arteries due to excessive build up of plaque within the artery, reducing the ease of blood flow through artery.
Fatty streaks- damage to inner wall of the artery allows infiltration of fatty substances. Damage is minimal and blood flow not affected, reversible
- Soft plaque - Repeated injury at the site of fatty plaques resulting in thickening of artery's middle layer. Bulges into channel of artery restricting blood flow.
- Change occur by 30 years of age.
- All three artery's wall is affected
- Hard plaque - all three layers of artery's wall affected
- artery's channel is now almost blocked.