The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- adenoma: Tumor or mass of a gland.
- adenitis: Inflammation of a gland.
- arthritis: Inflammation of a joint.
- bi/o life
- biology: Study of life. -logy: log (study), -y (process or condition).
- biopsy: Removal of living tissue from the body and examinated, viewed under a microscope.
- bi- two
- bifurcation: Forking (branching) into two, normal splitting into two branches; as the trachea bifurcates into two individual tubes to form the bronchi.
- bilateral: Pertaining to two sides.
- Cancerous, cancer
- carcinoma: Cancerous tumor.
- cardiology: Study of the heart.
- cephalic: Pertaining to the head. -ic (pertaining to)
- cerebrum (largest part of the brain)
- cerebral: Pertaining to the brain. -al (pertaining to)
- to cut
- incision: Process of cutting into. Scissors cut.
- excision: Process of cutting out.
- to secretre (to form and give off)
- endocrine glands: Glands that secrete hormones within the body, directly within (into) the bloodstream (e.g., thyroid, pituitary, and adrenal glands) the prefix endo- means within.
- exocrine glands: release their secretions (e..g., saliva, weat, tears) through tubes (ducts) to the outside of the body.
- urinary bladder; a sac or a cyst (sac containing fluid).
- cyst/oscopy: Process of visual examination of the urinary bladder.
- (-scopy: complex suffix scop (visual examination) and -y (process)).
- cyst/ocele: Hernia of the urinary bladder
- (-cele: hernia)
- cytology: Study of cells.
- cytoplasm: Contents (formation) of the cell (apart from the nucleus and cell membrane).
- erythrocyte: A red blood cell.
- leukocyte: White blood cell.
- dermatitis: inflammation of the skin.
- dermatology Study of skin
- hypodermic: Pertaining to under the skin.
- hypo- (under or below) deficient, less than normal
- electrocardiogram: Record of the electricity in the heart. ECG (or sometimes EKG)
- cardi (heart), -gram (record)
- electroencephalogram: EEG Record of the electricity of the brain.
- encephalitis: inflamation of the brain
- intestines (usually the small intestine)
- enteritis: Inflammation of the intestines.
- gastrectomy: Removal of the stomach.
- -ectomy: excision or removal (e.g., nephrectomy-removal, excision of a kidney.
- gastrotomy: Incision of the stomach.
- -tomy: complex suffix tom (to cut), -y (process of) process of cutting, incision
- hypo- (under or below)
- hypo/gastr/ic: pertaining to below the stomach
- epi- (above or upon)
- epi/gastr/ic: pertainig to above or upon the stomach
- diagnosis: State of complete knowledge; information gathered about a patient’s illness(dia- = complete; gnos/o = knowledge; -sis = state of).
- prognosis: State of before knowledge; prediction about the outcome of an illness.An agnostic is a person who professes no (a-) knowledge of God.
- hyperglycemia Condition of increased blood sugar.
- woman, female
- gynecology Study of females and female diseases.
- hematology: Study of blood.
- hematoma: Collection (mass) of blood.
- hemoglobin: Blood protein found in red blood cells. Hemoglobin carries oxygen to the cells from the lungs and carbon dioxide away from cells to the lungs.
- hepatitis Inflammation of the liver.
- treatment, physician
- iatrogenic: Pertaining to being produced by treatment. A rash occurring after treatment with a drug, such as penicillin, is an iatrogenic condition.A related term, nosocomial, refers to any infection acquired in a hospital(nos/o means disease and -comial comes from the Greek “I take care of”).
- nephritis: Inflammation of the kidney.
- nephrology: Study of the kidney.
- nephrectomy: removal, excision of a kidney.
- neurology Study of nerves.
- oncology: Study of tumors.
- oncologist Specialist in the study of tumors.
- ist (one who specializes in a field of medicine or other profession)