Chapter 4 History.txt
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- author "CarterBernath"
- tags "CarterBernath"
- description ""
- fileName "Chapter 4 History"
- freezingBlueDBID -1.0
- Explored Ohio River and claimed the land for France
Buried lead plates along the Ohio River to claim land for France
Lead British troops at Ft Duquesne in 1784..fought against the french at age 22
Ottawa leader who began a war against the British for the Ohio Country
Mingo leader who was friendly with colonists until they killed his family
1st Governor of NW Territory..appointed by Congress
Arthur St Clair
Bought land in Southern Ohio between Little Miami and Great Miami Rivers
John Cleve Symmes
The Northwest territory was divided into what 5 states?
Ohio. Indiana. Wisconsin. Illinois. Michigan.
The Northwest Ordinance setup a 3 step process for Statehood:
- 1. Congess appoints leader...Gov, Sec, and 3 judges
- 2. At least 5000 white men settled in area - picks legislature
- 3. 60,000 people settle there - writes constitution
What year did Ohio become a state?
Ohio was the -------th state in the US?
What are 3 early settlements that are still cities today?
Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Marietta
What were the 4 guaranteed Freedoms?
- 1. Freedom of Speech
- 2. Right to Worship
- 3. Right to trial by jury
- 4. Forbid slavery
What declared the colonists decision to free themselves from British rule?
Declaration of Independence
American colonists fought against British rule - against taxation without representation
Only Fort built in Ohio during the American Revolution
4 ways to reach the Northwest Territory
- 1. Flatboats
- 2. Wagons
- 3. Walk
- 4. Horseback
Things settlers did when they reached the Northwest Territory
- 1. Clear the land
- 2. Build sturdy log cabin
- 3. Planted crops - main crop corn (ate, fed animals, saved seed)
- 4. Hunt for food - deer, bear, squirrel
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview