Underworld Test English 1
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The entrance to the Underworld
Where did all the troubled souls wander aimlessly?
Paradise where the favorites of the gods went. Who were the favorites?
- noted bards and great heroes
where did all those go who the gods decided to punish?
Name the 5 rivers
the river where the dead were ferried across by Charon
River of Forgetfulness
River where fire flowed instead of water
Who was Charon?
- ferried dead across Styx
- his pay was an obolus
Who was Cerberus?
- monstrous dog
- guardian of Hades
- three heads
- tail of dragon
Who were the furies?
- attended to Proserpina
- punished people who had escaped punishment for their crimes
- afflicted them with horrors of a guilty conscience
- also called Eumenides
Who was Hecate?
goddess of witchcraft and sorcery
Who was Somnus
god of sleep
Who was Mors?
- god of death
- brother of Somnus
Who was Morpheus?
guardian of dreams
Who was Tantalus?
- monarch who the gods favored but he killed his son and committed many other crimes
- never ending thirst and hunger, food and water just out of his reach
Who was Ixion?
- murdered his father in law
- chained to a wheel that forever rolled down a hill
Who was Sissyphus?
- king of Corinth but promoted fraud
- roll a huge marble block up hill and it would always roll back down and he'd have to start over
- daughters of Danaus (king of Argos)
- murdered their husbands
- compelled to carry water in vain
Who was Orpheus?
- sun of the Mus Calliope and Apollo
- Apollo gave him a lyre
- enchanted everyone and everything with his playing
Who was Eurydice?
- married Orpheus
- died after two years from snake bite
What did Orpheus do?
- Orpheus went down to the Underworld and enchanted everyone with his playing, making his way to the palace
- There he played and begged Pluto and Proserpina to give him his wife back
- They consented as long as he promised not to look behind him
- At the end he looked back to check on her but she disappeared
How did Orpheus die?
- He went through depression for awhile
- He refused to play with the Maenads and so they threw rocks at his head, killing him
What was another name for Hades?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview