Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The French and Indian War was also called...
the 7 years war (English win)
The French and Indian War caused what 2 big problems
- 1) What to do with Western Lands
- 2)War Debt
What did they do with the western lands after the war?
gave it to the indians (Proclaimation 1763)
What did they do to solve the war debt problem?
- wanted colonists to pay.
- Stamp Act- passed march 1765 but effect Nov. 1765
What did the people do to rebel against Stamp Act and high taxes?
Sons of Liberty threatened tax collecters and made most resign.
What happened when the Townshed Act passed on colonists?
- March 5, 1770 Boston Massacre
- Kills half black man Crispus Attucks
1773 - point of no return
Boston Tea Party
90,000lbs of tea destroyed.
Coercire Acts of 1774
- -first continental congress
- -12/13 colonies meet in Philly
- -no trade with England and told to get malitia ready
- -agree to meet again in 6 months
- -War begins in Lexington and Concord
2nd Continental Congress 1775
- John Hancok elected president
- create an army with George Washington in charge
- create a postal service - Franklin
- create paper curency
- open diplomatic ties
- tax colonies
- send the olive branch petition to king
Declaration of Independence
June 1776 Richad Henry Lee presents the resolution for independence
3 parts of declaration
When was the declaration adopted?
4th of july
Who is the Father of the Declaration?
weaknesses of the Articles of Confederation
- request troops
- all 13 states could make money
- could not regulate foreign trade
- could not tax
the father of the constitution
May 25, 1787 states meet in philly to discuss...
New government plan
New Jersey Plan
work with and fix articles of confederation
Great Compromise (conneticut compromise)
- P-How many representatives each state recieves for house and state.
- S-House based on population, senate 2 per
- P-How do we count slaves for taxation and representation?
- S-Count each as 3/5ths of a person for both
Commerece and Slave Trade Compromise
- P-Taxing and regulating Trade
- S-Import tax, no export tax, can't touch slave trade for 20 years
September 17th 1787
Ratification- 39 people signed the constitution
- Congress convenes
- Washington elected Pres.
- J. Adams elected V.P
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview