The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Explain the drainage of the abdominal cavity WITHOUT the hepatic portal vein
- Great Saphenous brings blood up the legs along with the femoral veins.
- Once inside the body wall, they meet the external and internal iliac with converge to form the common iliac veins.
- Blood travels up the IVC snagging blood from the gonadals, kidneys, and adrenal glands before it inters the heart.
Describe the Hepatic Portal System
- A Venous system that drains all of the digestive organs
- -stomach, small intestine, large intestine, pancreas
- and spleen
takes it to the liver, then to the hepatic veins, and to the heart
The superior messenteric Vein
ALL of the SI and 1/4-1/2 of the LI
The inferior messenteric vein or artery drains or supplies the lower colon (LI)
Describe the Celiac Artery
First large artery to branch off Abdominal Aorta under the diaphram
- It supplies:
- Hepatic (liver)
- Gastric (Stomach)
- Splenic (Spleen)
What is the difference between the HPS in cats and in humans?
- Human HPS:
- IM--> Splenic-->SM-->Gastric-->HPV
- Cats HPS:
Describe (with specific locations) The Hepatic portal circulation in humans
inferior mesenteric-->(splenic vein)-->superior mesenteric-->superior mesenteric (joined by gastric)-->HPV-->Liver-->IVC
Describe (with locations) The HPS Arteries
- first major artery after aorta goes thru diaphram is the celiac arterty.
- it splits into the hepatic, gastric, and splenic arteries.
- The abdominal Aorta continues downward supplying the adrenal glands and kidneys (renal arteries).
- It then breaks off into the Superior Mesenteric which supplies the entire Small Intestine.
- The Inferior Mesenteric comes next and it supplies the lower colon (LI)
- Blood continues to travel down through the Common iliac artery which splits at the body wall creating the interior and exterior iliac arteries This breaks down into the femoral artery
In the cat, which blood vessels contain yellow latex?
Decribe (with locations) the HPS veins in a cat
Describe (with locations) the HPS Arteries in the Cat
- AA-->Celiac (hepatic and gastroplenic)-->SM-->Adrenal-->Kidneys-->Gonadal-->IM