Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Flows in one direction
stored energy Car at top of hill
energy in motion Car rolling downhill
Laws of thermodynamics
- First Law
- Total amount of energy in the universe is constant. Energy can change form and be transferred.
- Second Law
- Energy changes from a more useful to a less useful form. It becomes increasingly more random.
A chemical reaction where energy is released as a byproduct of the reaction.
AB ---------} A + B + energy
Exergonic reactions release energy!
Chemical reactions that require an input of energy to make the reaction go.
A + B + energy -------------} AB
Endergonic reactions need energy!
ATP and reactions
- The energy released from an exergonic reaction is used to run an endergonic reaction.
- Exergonic reaction
- ATP --------} ADP + P + energy
- Endergonic reaction
- ADP + P + energy--------} ATP
- A series of chemical reactions making up a pathway.
- The pathway may be linear, cyclic or a combination.
Reactants are located on the flat end of the arrow and products on the pointy end!!
- - Most metabolic reactions have a small energy difference-
- - This means that most are reversible.
- - Direction of reaction depends on concentrations of reactants and products.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview