9. MARKETING RESEARCH
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is marketing research?
Is the process of planning, collecting and ananlyzing data relevant to a marketing decision.
The role of MR is?
decsriptive - gathering & presenting factual statements
diagnostic - explaining data
predictive - what if?
Marketing research process consists of:
- 1. identify the problem/objective
- 2. plan the research design
- 3. specify sampling procedures
- 4. collect primary data
- 5. analyze data
- 6. prepare/present report
- 7. follow up
qualitative research is:
- focus group
quantitative research can be?
survey (online, mall, phon, mail, in-home) & experiment
- in customer's own words
- closed-ended question - make a selection from a limited list of responses
- scaled-response - a close-ended question that measures intensity of response
sample - a subset from large population
universe - the population from which a sample will be drawn
Probability sample means that...
...every element in the population has a known statistical likelihood of being selected
random sample - every element has an equal chance of being selected
Nonprobability sample means...
...little or no attempt is made to get a representative cross-section of the population
convenience sample - a form of nonprob. sample that uses respondents who are coveniently available to the researcher
types of errors are:
- there is a difference between the information desired by the researcher and the information provided (people tell researcher they purchase a product where they actually don't)
- sample doesn't represent the target population. These can be:
- frame errors - i.e. phone book used as a frame (not all beer drinkers are listed or have a phone
- random error - sample chosen, it shows how accurately samples avreage (mean) represents population's average (mean); one day we may get 18% another only 12%.
Sources of secondary data are:
- internal corporate database
- government agencies
- trade associations
- business periodicals
- other news media
What is scanner-based research?
a system for gathering data from a single group of respondents by monitoring the marketing mix and the things they buy.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview