Trojan War Test English 1
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Who was Thetis?
Who got married?
Thetis and Peleus got married
Who was Eris
the goddess of discord
Why did Eris show up to the wedding?
She had not been invited and decided to take revenge
What was Eris' revenge?
She threw a golden apple labeled for the fairest, causing the goddesses to fight over who was indeed, the fairest
Where did the golden apple come from?
The Garden of Hsperides
Who were the final three contestents?
Who was put in charge of making the decision?
Paris of Troy
Who reigned over Troy?
What was Paris' destiny?
Paris was destined to cause the destruction of his people
What did each goddess promise Paris
- Juno - great power and hapiness in his domestic life
- Minerva - wisdom and respect from everyone
- Venus - promised him the most beautiful woman in the world as his wife
Who did Paris award the golden apple?
Who were the brothers of Helen and who were her parents?
- Castor and Pollux
- Leda and Jupiter
What was the oath of Helen's suitors and who came up with the idea?
- the oath was that they would punish anyone who tried to molest Helen or her husband
- Ulysses came up with the idea
Who was Helen's husband?
Menelaus, king of Sparta was chosen by Helen to be her husband
What did Paris do to cause conflict?
Convinced Helen to elope with him back to Troy
What was the problem with Ulysses?
He didn't want to keep his oath
What did Menelaus do after Helen had left?
He called all the suitors to form an army
Who were some of the great heroes in the greek army?
- Nestor the sage
What was fortold by the oracles about Achilles?
- The greeks couldn't win without him
- He would die in a war against Troy
Who was Agamemnons daughter?
What happened to Agamemnon's daughter?
- When out hunting Agamemnon slew a stag sacred to Diana
- The oracle said Diana wouldn't be satisfied until his daughter was sacrificed
- Right before she was sacrificed, Diana switched her out for a hart and she went and became a priestess
Which gods favored the Trojans
Which gods favored the Greeks?
Which gods were neutral?
- Zeus, though he had to intervene at times
- Apollo who switched between sides
Why did Achilles refuse to fight? What happened because of that?
- Agamemnon and Achilles got in a fight over the division of spoils in the war
- Thetis went to Jupiter and asked him to let the Trojans to win for awhile
Who were Hector's wife and son?
Who was Patroclus and what did he do?
- Patroclus was Achilles' close friend and when Achilles refused to fight, Patroclus put on his armor and pretending to be him, went out into battle
- Patroclus died in battle
Who was the son of Jupiter?
Who made Achilles' new armor?
What did Hector do when the Trojans went inside the city
He stood and waited for Achilles
What happened when Achilles and Hector faced off?
Achilles chased Hector around the city and when they stopped Achilles stabbed Hector in the weak spot of his armor (neck)
What happened when Paris died?
- The war continued
- Helen married his brother Deiphobus
Who was Laocoon?
- The priest that told the Trojans not to allow the horse in, it was a trick.
- Serphants came up and dragged him into the sea, spurring the Trojans on
What happened with the Trojan horse?
The greeks all of the sudden left and in their place was a wooden horse as an offering to Minerva. It was taken inside the gates and after the Trojans had gone to sleep the greeks snuck out and destroyed the city.
What happened to Helen in the end after the war?
Menelaus forgave her and she went back to being married to him
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview