Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Increasing Professional Marketability
- Build on skills and talents
- Need for bilingual educators.
- Additional coursework
- Adapted physical education
- Dual certification
- Become certified to teach more than one subject or even driver education.
- Practical experience
- Join professional organizations and network.
- Demonstrate use of technology
- Additional courses in health and related areas
- ¡ACSM, First Aid/CPR, NATA, NSCA
- Build on one’s interests and strengths
- Practical experience
- ¡Internships, fieldwork, and volunteering
- ¡Gain diverse experiences
Burnout prevention and redemtion
- Provide meaningful in-service programs
- ¡Increased feedback about performance by administration
- ¡Participation in professional organizations
- ¡Revitalize oneself on time off with hobbies or non-work related activities
- ¡Maintain good health
- Specialists work with healthy populations to increase their level of fitness.
- ¡Sites: Corporate fitness centers, commercial fitness centers, and community agencies (YMCA/YWCA
- Work with individuals who exhibit the effects of coronary heart disease focusing on attaining a functional state of living and an enhanced quality of life.
- ¡Sites: Hospitals, medical clinics or community agencies affiliated with corporate fitness centers
Wellness Program Components
- Fitness development and maintenance
- Educational efforts
- Health promotion
- Lifestyle modification
- Recreational sport opportunities
- Medical screening
- Fitness and lifestyle assessment
- Goal setting
- Supervised group programs
- Educational classes
- Motivation and reinforcement
Exercise Program Specialist Responsibilities
- Direct program
- Train and supervise staff
- Budget responsibilities
- Facility management
- Individual exercise prescriptions
- Evaluate and counsel on lifestyle
- Data collection and analysis
Worksite Health Programs
- 46% of all worksites offer programs
- ¡38% of small corporations
- ¡68% of large corporations
- Potential to reach over 142 million adults
- ¡Convenient for employees
- ¡Offers peer and social support
- Economic benefits to corporations
- ¡Reduced injury rates, lower workman’s compensation costs, and reduced health care costs
- ¡Enhancement of workplace morale, retaining employees
- Work in private and public settings:
- ¡Conducting fitness assessments.
- ¡Developing specific goals with clients.
- ¡Designing programs for goal attainment.
- ¡Coaching clients through workouts.
- ¡Monitoring progress of goals.
- Growing use of the Internet, email, and phone to hire personal trainers and report results for convenience
Strength and Conditioning Professionals
- Assess, motivate, educate, and train athletes for the primary goal of improving sport performance.” (NSCA)
- Competencies necessary in the areas of:
- ¡Scientific foundations of sport/exercise and nutrition
- ¡Exercise leadership and program design
- ¡Sport psychology to maximize performance
- ¡Risks of performance-enhancing substances
- Clinical exercise physiologists work mainly in hospitals and clinics.
- Work closely with physicians to meet the needs of diverse clients.
- To plan rehabilitation programs, they must be familiar with:
- ¡Medical aspects of clients disease or condition
- ¡Limitations faced by clients
- ¡Drugs commonly used to treat the disease/condition and their effects
- ¡Psychological aspects of exercise on the clients
Career Preparation for personal trainiers and sc
- ¡Undergraduate and graduate education in exercise science, fitness and cardiac rehabilitation, etc.
- Various certifications offered by:
- Practical experience
- Professional involvement
- Prevention of Injuries
- ¡Supervision of conditioning programs
- ¡Advising coaches and athletes
- ¡Assist with preseason physicals
- ¡Checking equipment and facilities for safety
- ¡Administers therapeutic treatments and monitors progress.
- ¡Motivate and encourage throughout recovery
- ¡Record-keeping of injury status and history of injury
- Certification - NATA
- Dance therapy
- Recreational therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Prerequisites may be required prior to admission for advanced study
- Volunteer hours may be required for program admission
- health care professional who under the direction of a physcian treats the effects of disease, injury, and congenital disorders, through the use of therapeutic exercise and education
- prevention of deconditioning and debilitation and
- development and maintenance of functional fitness in persons with chronic diseas or disability
acsm american college of sports medicine
- ceritfied personal trainer
- healt fintess instructor
- registered clinical exerdcise physiologist
nata national athletic trainers association
provides information on natat, membersips,cerification, position papers, and listing of undergraduate and graduate schools offering a approved nata curriculum