Populations and Sustainable ecosystems
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Define the word population
All the individuals of a species that occupy a particular geographic area at a certin time.
What is exponential growth?
This is a accelerating growth that produces a J shaped curve when the popultion is graphed against time.
What are limiting factors?
- This is a factor that limits the growth distribution or amount of population in an ecosystem.
- One limiting factor is the amount of food or resources there is.
What does carrying capacity mean?
Carrying Capacity is the size of a population that can be supported by the available resources and sevice of an ecosystem.
What is an ecological niche?
This is the way that an organasim occoccupies a postion in an ecosystem, including all the neccessary biotic and abiotic factors.
What is a predator?
- A predator is an organasim that kills and consoumes other organasims.
- The fox is predator that eats rabbits.
What is a prey?
- A prey is an organasim that is eaten as food by a predator.
- Rabbits are preys to foxes.
What is mutulisim?
- Mutualisim is a symbiotic between two species benfit from the relationship.
- Coral and algae.
What is a parastite?
- A parasite is an organasims whose niche is dependent on a close association with a larger host organasims.
- The brain worm and the white tailed deer.
What is competition?
When two or more organasims compete for the same resource in the same location at the same time.
What does the word sustainable use mean?
Sustainable use is a use that does not lead to long-term depletion of a resource or affect the diversity of the ecosystem from which the resource is obtained.
What is doubling time?
- Double time is the period of that is required for a population to double in size.
- Humans doubling time is curruntley 60 years.
What is an ecological foot print?
An ecological foot print is a mesure of the impact of an individual or a population on the enviorment in terms of energy consoumption, land use, and waste production.
What does the word unsustainable mean?
Unsustainable is a pattern of activity that leads to a decline in the function of an ecosystem.
What does sustainablity mean?
Sustainability is using earths resources including land and water, at levels that can continue forever.
What are ecosystem services?
Ecosystim services ar the benifits experianced by organasims, including humans that are provided by sustainable ecosystems.
What is Desertification?
Desrtification is the change of non desert land into a desert.
What is ecotourism?
Ecotourism is a form of tourisim that is sensitive to the health of an ecosystem and involve recreational activities provided by sustainable ecosystems.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview