The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is function of the corpus callosum
- largest commicural fiber goupr
- communicate homologous cortial areas
- may propagate general seizures
What are the fornix and cingulate gyrus involved in?
Both involved in the limbi system for emotions regulation
What is the thin membran located in the medial side of the lateral ventricles?
What is the function of the ANT and POST commisural fibers?
communicate the temporal lobes of the 2 cerebral hemispheres
What is the function of the pineal gland?
- Largest part of the epithalamus
- secretes melatonin
- involved in circadian rhytms (day/night cycles)
What is the function of the thalamus
Relay station for somatosensory pathways (except for olfaction). It also filter input to cerebral cortex coming from the Basal Ganglia cirvuitry
Thalamic adhesion function?
Tissue that joins both thalami by piercing through the 3rd ventricle
What is the function of the hypothalamus?
- control endocrine secretion and autonomic regulation
- modulates primal urges and survival mechanisms
What is the groove that divides the thalami from the hypothalamus?
What is the function of the optic chiasm? What decussates?
- Point of decussation of the optic nerve before it becomes the optic tract
- only nasal fibers decussate
Where is the median eminence?
part of the hyopthalamic floor located between the optic chiasm and infundibulum.
What are the division and production of the pituitary gland?
- ANT lobe - multiple hormones
- POST lobe - Stores ADH and oxytocin
What makes up the pituitary stalk?
Infundibulum and tuber cinereum
What are the mamillary bodies involved in?
What kind of matter is the internal, external, and extreme capsule made out of?
bands of white matter
What separates the thalamus from the nucleus lentiform?
What separates the nucleus lentiform from the claustrum?
What separates the Claustrum from the insular cortex?
What is the function of the substantia nigra? Location?
- nuclei of dopaminergic cell bodies located in the midbrain, POST to the cerebral peducles.
- sends output to the striatum
What is the function of the hippocampus?
involved in learning and memory
What is the basal ganglia? FUnction? output?
- Group of nuclei involved in sequencin and initiation of voluntary movement
- output to the thalamus, and to the motor cortices
What is the function and location of the claustrum (trick)
- lateral to the nucleus lentiform
What makes up with striatum? Where does it recieve its input?
- Caudate and Putamen
- receives input from the substatia nigra
What forms the nucleus lentiform? Sends output to where? for what?
- Putamen and globus pallidus
- sends output to subthalamus and thalamus for motor control.
What is the genu of the internal capusle
it is the point of the INT capsule's flexure and divides it into anterior and POST limbs
What is the corona radiata? made up of?
- subcortical white matter
- corticospinal tract fibers are located in the corona as well as other ascending pathways that will terminate in the cerebral cortex