The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Two person method of coupling hose
Two FFs face each other holding a coupling. The FF with male looks away while FF with female end aligns coupling and tightens them.
Triple Layer Load
preconnected load. 2/3 of the length away from the hose bed make a fold, then make another fold to make a third layer. The layers are treated as one when loading the engine....to deploy grab the layer with the nozzle and walk it out on your shoulder.
tool used to operate valves on a hydrant and can also be used as a spanner wrench.
Advancing Hoseline up a ladder
- Can be done with charged and uncharged lines. Safest and best way is with an uncharged hoseline.
- Charged: nozzleman puts nozzle under left arm, over right shoulder to back and climbs to 20 ft. Then next FF puts hose over his left shoulder and follows up. Hose is tied down to ladder every 20 ft.
- aka heavy appliances. Non handheld water applicators capable of over 350+ gpm. four types.
- Wagon pipe/ deck gun: permanently mounted master stream on engine
- Deluge Set: not permanently mounted so it can be removed and operated from the ground or the engine.
- Monitor pipe: permanently attached, prepiped waterway on an aerial device.
- Ladder pipe: non permanently mounted device that needs a hoseline for a waterway on an aerial ladder.
Fog nozzle psi
- set volume nozzle runs at 100psi and 60 gpm
- new low-pressure nozzles can run at 50 or 75 psi
amount/volume of water that a nozzle will provide. Flow is measured in GPM (gallons per minute)
Combination fire attack
blend of direct and indirect attack. FF apply water to both the fuel and the atmosphere. Use a circular, Z, or T pattern. typical attack in structural firefighting.
Construction of hose
- two components: the hose and the couplings
- rubber liners were added in the 1800's
- 3 types of construction: wrapped, braided and woven
- Wrapped: fabric or mesh material is impregnanted with rubber or plastic and wrapped around rubber liner
- Braided: uses a yarn braided over the rubber liner with rubber/plastic layer separating it from the next layer.
- Woven: rubber line with one or more outer layers called 'jacket' which is usually woven cotton or synthetic materials.
What hose connects pump to hydrant?
- Supply hose or LDH(large diameter hose)
- 4,5, and some 6 inch variations.
- NFPA requires engines to carry at least 800 ft. of 2 1/2 inch or larger supply line
Single donut roll
Fold hose on top of itself with female being 3 ft. longer than male end. The extra 3 ft. of female hose protects the male coupling. leave a small space in the center as a hand hold.
- aka storage roll
- easiest to work with. can be done with damaged hose leaving male coupling outand knot tied .
- lay hose all the way out. start with the male end rolling until the female coupling to protect the male coupling.
- Engine stops first at the water supply to drop line then advances to fire location
- preferred lay
- device that divides one hoseline into two or more
- wye lines can be same size or smaller, and may or may not have a gate valve
- the extinguishing agent, usually water, that leaves the nozzles and flows torwards target, usually fire.
- four elements effect fire stream- pump, water, hose, and nozzle
- proper stream has sufficient volume, pressure, and direction to reach the target in desired pattern
- also used... Bresnan distributors
- used to fight localized fires in basements or cellars when a direct attack is not possible
- cellar nozzle has four nozzles and Bresnan has six or nine
Direct fire attack
used to attack fire by aiming stream directly at seat of fire.
- the force divided over an area expressed in psi
- required to lift, push, or move water.
- absolute pressure: measurement of pressure including atmospheric pressure measured in psi absolute
- gauge pressure: measures pressure without atmospheric pressure
measurement of friction in a system, such as a hoseline
the pressure required to effectively operate a nozzle
Small diameter hose gpm operation
hose smaller than 2 1/2 inches flow from 100-250 gpm
spray nozzle capable of creating a straight stream and spray patterns, adjustable by operator. most fog nozzles today are combi nozzles.
solid stream nozzle
- nozzle that delivers solid unbroken stream of water.
- aka- solid tip, straight bore, smooth bore
attack made on interior fires by applying fog stream into closed room converting water to steam to extinguish the fire
study of fluids at rest and in motion
used when fire and water source are in two different direction. one engine goes from point of intersection to fire the other to the water source
advancing hose inside a building
proper positioning of the engine. hoseline 1 1/2 inch or larger needed.ensure adequate hose at entry point. all FF on same side of hose. check door before entering room. bleed line before entering.
- aka venturi pump
- moves fluid to create movement of another fluid. used in foam systems
adverse conditions effecting stream
- natural and man made
- natural is wind, snow, trees, etc.
- moving stream closer to target reduces these conditions
A ____ hose roll is used when access to either or both couplings may be needed.
When a hoseline needs to be extended, firefighters can use the break-apart nozzle method or a ____.
____, ____, and ____ are preconnect hose loads.
minute man, triple layer, and flat
What is the standard wildland hose load which provides ease of rolling and stretching the line, the convenience of carrying with the hands free, and protection for couplings?
modified gasner bar pack
the amount of foam needed to extinguish a fire. It is expressed in gallons per minute per square foot.
A common foam proportioner which works on the venturi principle.
____ is the amount of water flowing from the discharge side of the pump.
Solid stream handlines can reach over ____ feet and master streams about ____ feet.