Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
function of the testes?
- dual function:
- spermatogenesis (sperm prod)
- secrete testosterone
funtion of the prostate gland?
secretes what is chemically and physiologically suitable for the needs of the spermatozoa in their passage from the testes
gerintologic considerations for male repro?
- prostate gland enlarges w/age & secretions decrease
- scrotum hangs lower
- testes get smaller and more firm
- d/c testosterone
- d/c sexual function
- i/c GU cancer
- i/c incontinence
decrease in sex hormone secretion causes?
- d/c muscle strength and sexual energy
- d/c in viable sperm
- shrinking of testes
- Erectile dysfunction (ED)
- enlargement of prostate
what are the changes in sexual response to age?
- prolonged time to reach full erection
- rapid penile detumescence (d/c swelling)
- prolonged refractory time
- d/c viable sperm
- s/s of obstruction of lower urinary tract
s/s of enlarged prostate?
- increased urinary freq
- d/c force
- double, triple voiding
influencing factors of sexual dysfunction?
- physical disease (DM, MS, Stroke, Cardiac)
- meds (antiHTN, anticholinergics, psychotropics)
positive DRE and increased PSA =
- prostate specific antigen that is produced by the prostate gland
- increased in prostate cancer (over 0.4 ng/mL)
- normal 0.2-0.4
- drawn before DRE or catheterization or you will get a false negative
when is PSA elevated?
- in BPH, prostate cancer, infections of the prostate and urinary tract
- ID those at risk
- used to monitor after Tx for cancer
- transrectal ultrasound
- done after DRE
- guides needle biopsies
teaching to minimize recurrence of prostate cancer?
have regular PSA tests and repeat lymph node biopsies
surgical removal of one teste?
- collection of fluid in the tunica vaginalis (scrotum)
- repair of hydrocele- hydrocelectomy
- one hr before sex
- for ED, impotence
inflammation of the prostate gland
uncontrolled, presistant erection of the penis from either neural or vascular causes.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview