Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
the nation who found the first Empire in India
ruler of Mauryans; Mauryan Empire builder; conquered around Indus river and the West-Central India
- considered a model ruler of Mauryan;
- Rock inscriptions of his edicts are the oldest deciphered Indian writing;
- converted to Buddhism after Kalinga war;
- Appointed "dharma officials"- to investigate public welfare
Buddhist shrines in Bharhut and Sanchi; example of Buddhism art
a masterpiece of Sanskrit and an epic
most influential religion texts of all Indian
- religion of India; three major development shaping in Hindu:
- the consolidation of the caste system
- the increasing dominance of theistic devotionalism(the cults)
- the intellectual reconciliation of those development with toe older ascetic
a class system in India
a religion that focuses on he quest for Nirvana and the "extraordianry norm"
policy of linking Hellenes with Iranians in political power, marriage, and culture bore fruit more lasting than empire.
emphasis on building Greek-style cities as Hellenistic culture
Indo-Greeks of Bactria
- Bactria's Greek satrap broke away from the Seleucids
- Bactria and the sccessors were major role of spreading Buddhism from India to Central Asia
- Millinda(Bactria's successor)- "The Questions of King Millinda"(a religious text in Buddhism)
Nomadic tribes people who dwelled on the Eurasian plains from Eastern Europe to the borders of China and Iran.
- Under Mithradates I, emerged as a New Eurasian Empire
- - silk road
trade road from China to the Indan Ocean coast
Scythians tribes; overran Northeastern Iran; was defeated by Kushan tribes
King of Kushan kingdom of India; he was the greatest patron of Buddhism; influenced China to be Buddhism.
the highest top dog group of Caste System
Siddharta Gautama, the Buddha
the founder of Buddhism
a moral as well as physical economy in which every act has unavoidable results
Vishu and Shiva
the primary forms in which the Supreme Lord ws worshipped; goddess figure in Hinduism
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview