Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Major types of Agencies? (3)
- 1. Governmental= Public
- 2. Private=NGO
- 3. Quasi-governmental= Hybrid Ex. Red cross
PH organization's scope? (4)
- 1. International
- 2. National/Federal
- 3. State/ regional/ Province
- 4. Local (city, county)
Funded? Managed? Authority?
- Funded by Tax dollar
- Managed by government officials
- Authority for some geographic area= (CATCHMENT) Was on quiz.
Government agencies Levels & Ex.
- 1. WHO
- 2. HHS
- 3. CA Dept. of PH
- 4. LA county Dept. PH
WHO (Established, headquarters, purpose)
- Geneva, Switzerland
- Attainment by all people of the highest possible level of health (mostly carried out in poor countries)(Prevent & Treat disease outbreaks)
- EX. Polio, TB, HIV, Malaria
National Health Agencies (Example)
- All countries have primary dept. responsible for health of citizens
- Ex. US Dept. of Health & Human Services
AoA= Administration on Aging (purpose?)
- Carry out provisions of the Older Americans Act of 1965
- Social & nutritional services
ACF= Admin. for Children and Families (Purpose ?)
- Responsible for providing direction and leadership for all federal programs for needy children and families.
- Ex. Head Start Program
AHRQ= Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (Purpose?)
Lead Federal agency for research (healthcare quality, cost, outcome, PT safety
ATSDR= Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (purpose)
- Created by Superfund legisation
- Prevent harmful exposures and diseases related to toxic substances
CDC= Center for Disease Control (purpose)
- Health promotion, prevention, preparedness
- global leader of PH
- Research : Mortality & morbidity weekly report
- Alanta, GA
FDA= Food and Drug Administration (Purpose)
- Assures safety, efficacy & security of :
- Humans & veterinary drugs, biological products, medical devicess.....
CMS= Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (purpose)
Administer medicare/-caid program (87mill. Americans)
HRSA= Health Resources and Services Administration
Help provide health resources for medically underserved populations.
IHS= Indian Health Services
Raise physical, mental, social, spirital health of American Indians and Alaskan Natives to highest level
SAMHSA= Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Admin.
Up to date info. and state of the art practice is effectively used for prevention and TX of addictive and mental disorders
NIH= National Institute of Health (on quiz)
- One of the world's foremost medical Research centers and federal focal point for medical reseac.h
- National Cancer Institute (NCI)
- 1. US Dept. of Agriculture --> WIC program
- 2.Occupational Safety and Health Admin. (OSHA)
- 3. Enviromental Protection Agency (EPA)
State Health Agencies?
- Every state has a Dept. of health
- Promote, protect and maintaing health and welfare of their citizens
Responsibilities of PH agencies (4)
- Finance care for poor and chronically disabled
- Reg. health care cost (insurance)
- Quality Assurance (license facilities)
- Training and standards for health professionals
Local Health Dept. (purpose)
- Responsibility of City or County gov.
- Funded by: Taxes, grants, fees
- conduct services mandated by state laws (resturant inspections)
- Reporting of: 1. communicable diseases 2. Birth/Death certificates
School Health Programs (purpose)
- Organized set of policies, procedures, activities to promote, protect, improve health of students and staff,--> improving students ability to learn
- Many Barriers: inadequate funding, lack of support
- some responsibilities assigned by gov. but operate more like voluntary agencies
- Funded by taxes and private sources
- Ex. American Red Cross, National Academy of Science
American Red Cross (Founded, Services)
- 1881, by Clara Barton
- Provide relief to victims of natural disaster
Ex. non-gov. services: Blood drives, safety services, CPR training....
- By private donation or membership fees
- Free from gov. interferences as long as thy meet IRS guidelines
Voluntary Health Agencies (Purpose, Funding, Big 3)
- To meet specific health need
- Basic Objective: Research, education, services, advocacy
- Funded by donations, fundraising events
- Big 3: (ACS, AHA, ALA)
- ACS, AHA, ALA
- Can be for profit
Professional Health Associations
- Promote high standard of professional practice
- Ex. AMA, AAAOM, ACA, ICA.......
Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation?
- Philanthropic Foundation
- Provide grants to support programs
Service, Social, Religious Organizations
- Most provide services and many sponsor health related programs
- Ex. Burn centers, Food banks, Faith based projects and ministeries
Corporate America- workplace health and safety (Ex.)
- others: Health insurance, labor unions