Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What is the scientific name of chocolate?
What medicinal uses do cacoa nibs have?
1) keep hypoglycemia in check
Where does chocolate (Theobroma cacoa) originate?
South America (lower Amazon: mainly Brazil)
Where is the majority of chocolate (Theobroma cacoa) cultivated?
South America (lower Amazon: majority in Brazil)
What parts of the Theobroma cacoa (chocolate) plant are used?
What is Koko Samoa?
- It is made by the Polynesians. The roasted seeds of Theobroma cacao are ground up, mixed with water, and put in paper cups to harden. After it is hard, the paper cup is torn away, and the Koko Samoe is stored at room temperature.
- It is sold in the US as Guarana and is expensive.
What is the active ingredient of Theobroma cacoa (chocolate), and what other chemicals does it contain?
- Act Ing: 1.5% Theobromine - stimulant
- Other Chemicals: up to 3% Caffeine - stimulant
- Seratonin - anti-depressant
- Phenylethylamine (PEA) - releases endorphins
Are the % correct? Check.
Why can't dogs eat chocolate?
- Theobromine is toxic to dogs because their livers can't metabolize it.
- In dogs, it's half life is 17 hours, so theobromine poisoning can go for 72 hours in severe cases.
- See a vet quickly. Within 2 hours of consumption the vet will induce vomitting.
What is the mode of action of Theobromine?
- 1) Inhibits sensory nerve activiation.
- 2) Inihibits cough without negative side-effects.
- Just as effective as codine, and tastes better than cough syrup.
- 2) Relaxes bronchi muscle sint he lungs.
- 3) Stimulant
What are the medicinal uses of dark chocoalte?
- 1) Reduces LDL's by ca. 10%.
- 2) Phenylethylamine (PEA) hits mu receptors which stimulates endorphin production giving a feeling of pleasure.
- 3) Lowers blood pressure in people with high blood pressure - systolic/diastolic, 140-150/100.
What is a good dose of chocolate?
What fats are in chocolate?
- 1) Oleic Acid
- 2) Stearic Acid
- 3) Palmitic Acid
What is Oleic Acid?
- healthy monounsaturated fat in chocolate which lowers LDL's
- also found in olive oil
What is Stearic Acid?
saturated fat, but research shows it has a neutral effect on cholesterol
What is Palmitic Acid?
saturated fat which raises cholesterol and the risk of heart disease
Who were the first real chocolate lovers?
- the Mayans
- They saw it as a restorative, mood-enhancing cure-all
- They have a cacao tree in their story of the Creation rather than an apple tree.
- They put spices in it. ($?)
When did the Europeans get chocolate, and what did they use it for?
- Cortes brought back crates of cacao beans.
- Chocolate swept Europe and was believes to be a cure-all.
What is some history of chocolate in America?
- Thomas Jefferson thought chocolate was very superior. (to tea?, coffee?)
- Much of the medicinal value of chocolate was forgottena fter sugar and milk were added to it with the birth of the chocolate bar by Milton Hershey.
- An Early Hershy's advertisement - "Hershey's; More Sustaining Than Meat"
Name 7 Chocolate Myths.
- Chocolate -
- 1) is high in caffeine
- 2) causes acne
- 3) causes hyperactivity
- 4) causes migranes
- 5) causes tooth decay
- 6) allergy to is common
- 7) people crave it as if they have a biological need to it
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview