Whispers From The Grave
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
allegedly (uh-LEJ-id-lee) adverb
- having been stated as fact without
- proof; reportedly
example: Brooke and Mary are in the principal’s office. They allegedly made some inappropriate comments about Kari, although I have never heard them
alluring (uh-LOOR-ing) adjective;
very attractive or tempting; enticing
- example: I cannot wait another second
- to sink my teeth into this alluring chocolate cake.
blueprint (BLOO-print) noun;
a detailed plan or outline
- example: The contractors who are
- remodeling our kitchen did not follow the blueprint; they put the space for the refrigerator on the wrong wall.
eccentricity (ek-suhn-TRIS-ih-tee) noun;
oddness; peculiarity; unusualness
example: I would hate it if Uncle Ralph put away his brightly colored clothes and crazy hats and started dressing like everyone else. I love his eccentricity!
paranormal (par-uh-NAWR-muhl) adjective;
- not scientifically explainable;
- example: This Halloween, my friends and
- I are going to be ghost hunters, searching for paranormal
- activity in the abandoned house near
- the railroad tracks.
rattled (RAT-uhld) adjective;
unnerved, frightened, or confused
- example: On Halloween night, a strange
- creature with glowing eyes ran in front of Jake’s car, causing him to swerve violently. Jake was so rattled that he missed his next turn.
recluse (REK-loos) noun;
a person who lives apart from society
- example: The character in the story
- that I am writing is a recluse; he lives in a small cabin on a
- mountain and has no contact with the outside world.
skepticism (SKEP-tuh-siz-uhm) noun;
doubt that something is true; disbelief
example: I understand your skepticism, but I swear I had a conversation with an alien last night
tuberculosis (too-bur-kyuh-LOH-sis) noun;
- a highly contagious bacterial disease
- that usually affects the lungs but can also affect
- other parts of the body, such as the brain, kidneys, or spine
example: Tuberculosis can be spread through coughing, speaking, laughing, singing, or sneezing.
vengeful (VENJ-fuhl) adjective;
desiring or seeking revenge
- example: When Claire returned from a
- long trip, her vengeful cat threw up in Claire’s shoe.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview