The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Any piece of equipment to increase, maintain or improve funcional capabilities of individuals with disabilities.
What are the categories for assistive technology?
- aids for daily living
- communication aids
- computer application
- environmental control systems
- home and work site modifications
- prosthetics and orthotics
- seating and positioning
- sensory aids for persons with hearing or visual impairments
- wheelchairs/mobility aids
- transportation aids
Assistive technology service
Any service that directly assists an individual with a disability in the selection, acquisition, or use of an assistive technology device.
Methods and devices that supplement existing verbal communication skills.
Techniques that substitute for spoken communication for those individuals who appear unable to unlikely to develop spoken language skills.
What are the 2 kinds of AAC techniques?
Aided and unaided
- Aided-everything from a simple communication board to the computer with a synthetic speech output system.
- Unaided- no external support devices or procedures. They are portable, easy to use, no cords or batteries, inexpensive - easy to replace - and others can use with little or no training.
Augmentative and Alternative Communication
How do we Ax for AAC?
- -exisiting communication abilities
- -cognitive abilities
- -motor abilities
- -sensory abilities
Team evaluation for AAC?
- Regular/special ed teachers