Glucagon & Pitocin
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the generic name for Glucagon?
What is the brand name for Glucagon?
What is the class for Glucagon?
What is the mecahnism of action for Glucagon?
- Converts liver glycogen to glucose raising serum glucose levels
- Reverses effects of hypoglycemia
- Smooth muscle relaxant
- Cardiac inatrope
What are the indications and field use for Glucagon?
- Hypoglycemia if IV unattainable
- Raises blood sugar levels by converting glycogen to glucose
- Trapped food bolus in esophagus
- Smooth muscle relaxant may allow food to pass to stomach
- Beta-Blocker OD
- Positive cardiac inotrope
Doseage for Glucagon?
All hytpoglycemic doses are IM. Other indications may be given IV.
- Glucagon 1mg IM
- Smooth muscle relaxant/Beta-blocker OD
- Per agency or patch with medical control
Contraindications for Glucagon?
- Known hypersensitivity / allergy
Drug interactions for Glucagon?
Side effects for Glucagon?
Onset of action for Glucagon?
- 8-10 minutes
- Allow time to work before considering request for second dose
AZ Drug Box Supply for Glucagon?
4 x Box of 1mg glucagon powder in vial & 1cc diluting solution in vial or preloaded syringe
Generic name for Pitocin?
Class for Pitocin?
Mechanism of action for Pitocin?
- Oxytocin receptor agonist
- Increases force & frequency of urinary contractions
Indications and field use for Pitocin?
- Postpartem hemorrhage AFTER delivery of placenta and twins/triplets if any
- Stimulates uterus to contract which slows bleeding
Dosage for Pitocin?
All dosages via IV infusion or IM
- Pitocin 10 units added to 10000cc LR infused at rate necessary to control bleeding
Contraindications for Pitocin?
- Known hypersensitivity/allergy
- Baby/Babies have not yet delivered
- Placenta has not yet delivered
Drug interactions for Pitocin?
Side effects for Pitocin?
- Clotting disorders
- Electrolyte disturbances
- If used before delivery of baby or placenta
- Uterine rupture
- Uterine spasm
- Uterine laceration
- Uterine fetal damage
Onset of Action for Pitocin?
Peak Effect for Pitocin?
Duration of action for Pitocin?
For 1 hour after use discontinued
AZ Drug box supply for Pitocin?
2 x 10 units in 1cc vial, ampule or Tubex syringe
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview