en101 vocab 5-7
Card Set Information
en101 vocab 5-7
en101 vocab p5-6
1. To cover with water, especially floodwaters.
2. To overwhelm as if with a flood;
[from unda, wave]
1. Marked by great passion or zeal: a fervid patriot.
2. Extremely hot; burning.
[Latin fervidus, from fervēre, to boil]
to make greater; th heighten
지위, 가치를 늘리다
a projection form a fortification, arranged to give a wider firing range; any strong defense or bulwark
보루, 요새, 수호자
to complicate or intensify, as bt the introduction of a new element
to allot or distribute, deal out 할당, 배당하다
1. To rob of goods by force, especially in time of war; plunder.
2. To take as spoils.
1. Lacking physical strength or vigor; weak.
2. Lacking in power, as to act effectively; helpless:
1. Motivated solely by a desire for monetary or material gain.
2. Hired for service in a foreign army.
1. To make worse or more troublesome
2. To annoy or exasperate
[Latin aggravāre, aggravāt- : ad-, ad- + gravāre, to burden (from gravis, heavy; see gwerə-1in Indo-European roots).]
(질병이나 좋지 못한 상황을) 악화시키다
any group of persons or things arranged in successive orders or classes, each of which is subject to or dependent on the one above it
사회 계급, 체계
betrothed, to promise solemly] to take as a spouse, marry; now, to support, advocate
(주의・정책 등을) 옹호하다
A place where things may be put for safekeeping; a warehouse; a museum.
a personal subject to the will of another; a tool
졸병, 저당물, 담보물
, viloent death] Tending to kill or hurt; very injurious or destructive
secret agreement or cooperation for fraudulent or deceitful purposes
to hold] Act,right, manner, or therm of holding something--as landed property or a position or office
재임 기간, 재임
to kick back, from
to kick, heel] stubbornly disobedient; obstinately definat of authority
저항하는, 다루기 힘든
to fight, from
fist] quarrelsome disposition; combativeness
footprint] trace or visible sigh left by something vanished or lost
skillful, on the right side] skill and ease in physical activity, especially in using the hands
to utter distinctly] Incapable of giving cogerent, clear, or effective expresstion to one's ideas or feeling
1. Of, relating to, or limited by time
2. Of or relating to the material world; worldly
3. Lasting only for a time; not eternal; passing
현세적인, 속세의, 시간의 제약을 받는
1. A confused struggle or fight at close quarters.
2. A confused tumultuous mingling, as of a crowd
Traveling from place to place, especially to perform work or a duty: an itinerant judge;
1. To return to an earlier, inferior, or less complex condition.
2. To go or move backward
되돌아가다, 후퇴하다, 역행하다
1. to put out from a property by legal process; expel
2. to force out; eject
1. Living or characterized by preying on other animals
2. Living or characterized by plundering, pillaging, or marauding
1. To gather together or accumulate a large quantity of (something)
2. To be the site of (an increasing mass), especially as a result of neglect
vicisstitude (VI CI SSI TI TUDE- 2 s')
irregular changes or variations
dependent upon the will of another; now, risky, uncertai; hazardous, dangerous 위태로운
augment (no "e" between g and m)
to make greater, as in size or quantity
1. Death, the end of existence or activity; termination 종말
2. Law Transfer of an estate by lease or will.
1. Deep-seated, often mutual hatred 원한, 증오
2. A feeling or state of hatred or animosity
1. Similar or alike in such a way as to permit the drawing of an analogy. 유사한
2. Biology Similar in function but not in structure and evolutionary origin.
1. Of, relating to, or typical of this world; secular.
2. Relating to, characteristic of, or concerned with commonplaces; ordinary. 일상적인
call; To cause to assemble in a meeting; convene 소집하다
to make known] To make known or announce officially and formally
[L. a mkaer, from
] one of the elements or causes that contribute to produce a result
1. Of, relating to, or formed by a meteoroid. 유성의
2. Of or relating to the earth's atmosphere.
a council or body of officer designated to transact business for others; an association of individuals united to negotiate some business or to prosecute some enterprise reqiring large capial 연합체
: a lucrative incom
A doctrine, principle, or position held as part of a philosophy, religion, or field of endeavor. 교리
inspiring fear or awe; formidable