SUR 102 unit 4
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
5 categories of surgical procedures
- replacement or implantation
what do the results of a diagnostic procedure provide?
information about the nature of a medical problem and the options available for treatment
what is being done in surgical reconstruction?
tissue is remodeled or replaced for functional or aesthetic reasons
preoperative sequence of a surgical procedure
- scrub and circulator open the case
- patient arrives from holding area and is transferred to OR bed
- ACP and circulating nurse prepare patient for anesthesia
- patient positioned
- scrub performs hand antisepsis or scrub
intraoperative sequence of a surgical procedure
- scrub gowns and gloves and sets up sterile supplies
- first count performed
- anesthesia initiated
- patient draped
- supplies secured to operative field
- timeout performed
- surgery is begun
- scrub provides supplies
- counts performed per protocol and specimens obtained
- wound closed
- anesthesia withdrawn
- dressings applied
- drapes removed and dressings secured
postoperative sequence of surgical procedure
- patient transferred to PACU
- supplies sorted and prepared for decontamination
- disposable items are disposed of
- documentation completed
- reusable supplies transported
- specimens transported
- surgical suite cleaned and decontaminated
- equipment/furniture returned to normal locations
what is the goal of repair?
to restore function to a structure, organ, or system
what does tissue replacement involve?
implantation of organ or other anatomical structure that has lost function through disease or trauma
implant derived from the patient or from another person or animal, or biosynthetic material
what lists cases and assigned personnel?
who prepares wrapped sterile supplies?
what is listed on the surgeon's preference card
- instrument sets and special instruments
- special equipment
- suture preferences
- glove and gown size
- skin prep and draping routine
- intraoperative drugs, including dose and strength
- surgeon's individual techniques
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview