Biol 32 Tissues/Test
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Why are histological sections stained?
- To enhance contrast
- (Staining provides contrast to the specimen. Increased contrast allows for a more precise microscopic study of the sample.)
True or false:
Polarity is a property of all normal epithelial tissues?
The role of microvilli is to:
increase surface area.
Ture or fales:
Epithelial tissues are innervated and usually vascularized.
You observe a tissue that has cells of varying heights. At first glance, it appears that the tissue has multiple cell layers, but upon closer investigation you see that all of the cells attach to the same basement membrane. What classification would you give to this epithelial tissue?
- Pseudostratified columnar epithelium
- While pseudostratified epithelia have the illusion of being a multi-layered tissue it is in fact made up of only one cell layer. The irregular heights of the cells that make up pseudostratified epithelia give the tissue a layered appearance. In reality, all of the cells in this tissue rest on the basement membrane.
What is the role of an exocrine gland?
- To secrete substances onto body surfaces.Exocrine glands make secretions onto body surfaces. Endocrine glands are generally responsible for secreting hormones and other substances into the blood and lymph.
You observe a multicellular gland with branched ducts. Interestingly, the secretory unit of the gland also has a sac-like appearance. What type of gland would this most likely be?
A compound alveolar exocrine gland
A sebaceous (oil) gland of the skin must completely rupture to release its secretory products. Thus, this type of gland is considered to be a:
- holocrine glandSebaceous glands are classified as holocrine glands. It should be noted that holocrine glands completely rupture to release their products while apocrine glands only rupture at the apex to release their products.
_______________ are important and common unicellular exocrine glands.
- Goblet cells
- Mucous cells and goblet cells are common and important examples of unicellular exocrine glands.
Which of the following is true of mucin?
It is a complex glycoprotein found in mucus.
Which of the following is not a type of connective tissue?
- a fibrous protein that provides tensile strength to certain connective tissues.
- Collagen is a fibrous protein that provides tensile strength.
Which of the following is a role of connective tissue?
- Transportation of bodily substances
- Blood is an example of a connective tissue. One key role of blood is to transport substances through the body.
- are phagocytic cells.
- Macrophages are highly phagocytic cells that can roam the body or remain fixed in a given tissue. Activated B cells are the only types of cells that produce antibodies.
The best classification of adipose tissue is:
- a loose connective tissue.
- Adipose tissue is an example of a loose connective tissue. Bone is an example of an osseous connective tissue.
True or False:
All connective tissues arise from a common embryonic tissue.
- All connective tissue is derived from a common embryonic tissue.
Neurons are cells that are involved in:
responding to stimuli.
You observe a muscle that has intercalated discs, and contracts under involuntary conditions. What type of muscle must this be?
- Cardiac muscle
- Cardiac muscle is characterized by the presence of intercalated discs. Additionally, cardiac muscle is under an involuntary control mechanism. While smooth muscle is indeed regulated by involuntary mechanisms, it does not contain intercalated disks. Lastly, uterine muscle is smooth muscle so intercalated disks would not be present.
The skin is a ____________ membrane.
The first step in tissue repair is:
All of the body's organs are derived from three primary germ layers. Which of the primary germ layers can produce epithelial tissues?
Ectoderm, endoderm and mesoderm can all give rise to epithelial tissues.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview