THE STUARTS: 1st James and Charles, 2nd Charles and James, then Willian&Mary
- James I and VI of Scotland (1603-1625) - Union of Crowns. Gunpowder Plot - Catholics try to assassinate him. Colonizes Jamestown, America in 1607
- Charles I (1625-1649) - conflict with Parliament leads to First (and Second) English Civil war in 1642. Charles defeated by Oliver Cromwell (king in all but name), and executed
- Charles II (1660-85) - RESTORATION to throne. Great Fire in 1666.
- King James II & 7th (1685-88) - a Catholic, deposed in Glorious Revolution by his son-in-law + daughter
- William III Orange & Mary II (1689-1702) - Bill of Rights passes