UTSD Nutrition Final part III
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Factors that decrease calcium absorption
- High fiber diet
- high-protein diet
Some foods rank higher in absorbability of calcium, rank these in order from excellent to poor:
Milk Almonds Cauliflower spinach
- Excellent: Caulilower, brussels sprouts, broccoli
- Good: Milk, Soy milk tofu
- Fair: Almonds, sesame seeds, pinto beans
- Poor: Spinach
In osteoporosis, the bone mineral density (BMD) is reduced, bone microarchitecture deteriorates, and the amount and variety of proteins in bone are altered.
what are some of the risk factors for osteoporosis?
- Caucasian or Asian
- Thinness (small bones)
- overectomy before 45
- physical inactivity
- deficient vitamin D intake
- high animal protein intake
T/F distorted body shape occurs in osteoporosis
is osteoporosis preventable?
This mineral is a common multipurpose food additive...
______________ is to chlorophyl in plants as iron is to hemoglobin in humans
name some food sources for magnesium:
- Dried Figs
- Black eyed peas
- baked potato
- sunflower seeds
T/F Sulfur is an important mineral in the human body
What mineral deficiency causes "Old Rose" colored tongue with depapillation evident at periphery?
(oral mucosa is also darker red)
Pellagra (niacine deficiency) is manifested in the oral cavity through these three symptoms:
- Enlarged Tongue
- Smooth atrophic surface on dorsum of tongue
- Glossopyrosis (burining tongue)
What are the oral manifestations of riboflavin deficiency?
- Glossitis (inflamation of the tongue) affects teh lateral marins of the tip of tongue
- Fiery red color of tongue due to atrophy of filiform papillae
- angular cheilosis (fissuring and dry scaling of the vermilion surface of the lips and angles of the mouth, a characteristic of riboflavin deficiency)
- lips may become red and smooth
- mucous membranes bleed easily
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview