The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is Electricity?
- A form of energy that results from the interaction of charged particles
- i.e.- Protons, Electrons
What is Static Charge (Static Electricity)?
Electric charge that remains "static" or doesn't move
What is Charged by Friction?
- Involves the transfer of electric charge by rubbing or friction
- i.e.- Combing Hair
What is the Electrostatic Series?
- Used to determine the kind of electric charge produced on each substance when two substances are rubbed together
- (Another good diagram is also available on page 405 in the textbook for studying)
What is an Insulator?
- A material in which electrons cannot move easily from one atom to another atom
- i.e.- Vinyl, Silicon, Teflon.
What is a Conductor?
- A material in which electrons can move easily atoms
- i.e.- air, glass, human body
What is a Semiconductor?
- A material in which electrons can move fairly well between atoms
- i.e. lead, cotton, wool
What is Ground?
An object that can supply a very large number of electrons to, or remove a large number of electrons from, a charged object, thus neutralizing the object
What is an Electroscope?
- A device for detecting the presence of and electric charge
- Types- pith ball electroscope, metal leaf electroscope
What is Charging by Contact?
Generating a charge on a neutral object by touching it with a charged object
What is the Law of Electric Charges?
Laws that describe how two objects interact electrically
What is an Electric Field?
A property of the space around a charged object, where the effect of it's charge can be felt on other objects
What is Induced Charge Seperation?
The movement of electrons in a substance, caused by the electric field of a nearby charged object between the substance and the object
What is an Ion?
A charged atom or group of atoms
What is a Lightning Rod?
- A metal shpere or point, attached to the hightest part of a building and connected to the ground
What is a Electroscostatic Precipitator?
A type of cleaner that removes unwanted particles and liquid droplets from a flow of gas
What is a Van de Graff Generator?
A device that accumulates very large charges
What is a Radiation Dosimeter?
A small device that detects and measures exposure to radiation