Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the scientific name for oats?
Where do oats (Avena sativa) originate?
Mediterranean region: Europe, North Africa, and central Asia
What parts of the oat plan (Avena sativa) are used?
arial parts: oat bran, oat straw, whole oat grain, husk
What part of oats (Avena sativa) are used in cereal?
seed / grain
Oats (Avena sative) are the principal cereal of which country?
Great Britain: Wales, especially Scotland
What can be a nondairy subsitutue for people allergic to soy and rice?
Who were the top oat (Avena sativa) produceers in 2005?
- 1) Russia (5.1 million tonne)
- 2) Canada (3.3 million tonne)
- 3) United States (1.7 million tonne)
What are oats (Avena sativa) used for?
- 1) human consumption
- 2) oat straw baths: used traditionally for rheumatism and as a sedative
- 3) oat extracts: used for more than a century for soothing topical emollient for managing dry, itchy, irritated, or inflamed skin, sunburns
- 4) oat colloidal grain suspensions: used for decades in treatment of dermatitis
- 5) subtle calming effects: used by caregivers of children with ADHD or depression
How much of the oat (Avena sativa) crop grown do humans consume and why?
- about 5% of total crops grown
- recent increase in consumption due to interest in health benefits
- eating 3 or more servings of whole grains (such as oats) per day may reduce the risk of certain diseases and may help with weight mainenance
Oats (Avena sativa) have a long history of use in cosmetic products ot relieve:
Oats (Avena sativa) are commonly used in:
- 1) moisturizers
- 2) facial masks
- 3) topical creams
- 4) bath soaps and gells
- 5) sunscreans
What are the active ingredients in oats (Avena sativa)?
- 1) Beta-glucan: soluble fiber to lower LDL's when needed
- 2) Gramine: reduce anxiety - sedative
- 3) Mucilage: skin disorders, sunburns
- Gramine and Mucilage reduce skin irritation 6 times faster than untreated sites.
What does the FDA approve about oats?
- 1) allows claim that solube fiber from whole oats as part of diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce risk of coronary heart disease
- 2) allows colloidal (forms emulsion) oatmeal as active ingredient in skin protectants
- 3) ...temporarily protect and help relieve minor skin irritation and itching
What is the future outlook of oats?
- 1) 2 increasingly significant market niches - humans and horses
- 2) demand for and products increased due to potential health benefits for consumers - notably lowering cholesterol
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview