Card Set Information
medicinal plants oats oatmeal Avena sativa origin mediterranean
Tests information on the medicinal plant Avena sativa: oats.
What is the scientific name for oats?
Where do oats (Avena sativa) originate?
Mediterranean region: Europe, North Africa, and central Asia
What parts of the oat plan (Avena sativa) are used?
arial parts: oat bran, oat straw, whole oat grain, husk
What part of oats (Avena sativa) are used in cereal?
seed / grain
Oats (Avena sative) are the principal cereal of which country?
Great Britain: Wales, especially Scotland
What can be a nondairy subsitutue for people allergic to soy and rice?
Who were the top oat (Avena sativa) produceers in 2005?
1) Russia (5.1 million tonne)
2) Canada (3.3 million tonne)
3) United States (1.7 million tonne)
What are oats (Avena sativa) used for?
1) human consumption
2) oat straw baths
: used traditionally for rheumatism and as a sedative
3) oat extracts
: used for more than a century for soothing topical emollient for managing
4) oat colloidal grain suspensions
: used for decades in treatment of dermatitis
5) subtle calming effects
: used by caregivers of children with ADHD or depression
How much of the oat (Avena sativa) crop grown do humans consume and why?
about 5% of total crops grown
recent increase in consumption due to interest in health benefits
eating 3 or more servings of whole grains (such as oats) per day may reduce the risk of certain diseases and may help with weight mainenance
Oats (Avena sativa) have a long history of use in cosmetic products ot relieve:
Oats (Avena sativa) are commonly used in:
2) facial masks
3) topical creams
4) bath soaps and gells
What are the active ingredients in oats (Avena sativa)?
: soluble fiber to
Mucilage reduce skin irritation 6 times faster than untreated sites.
What does the FDA approve about oats?
1) allows claim that solube fiber from whole oats as part of diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may
reduce risk of coronary heart diseas
2) allows colloidal (forms emulsion) oatmeal as active ingredient in skin protectants
relieve minor skin irritation and itching
What is the future outlook of oats?
1) 2 increasingly significant market niches - humans and horses
2) demand for and products increased due to potential health benefits for consumers - notably lowering cholesterol