Assess the skin for color, breakdown, lesions, moisture, turgor, and edema.
- if the skin/nail beds are not blue (cyanotic), we know the person is getting enough oxygen
- If the skin is dry, we know that the person is underhydrated (dehydrated).
- If the skin is moist, or hot, we know that the person is embarrassed, has just finished exercising, or may have a fever.
- If the skin is itching, the person may have had a reaction to prescription medication or may have poison ivy
- Skin and the tissues below the skin can also be a place that water collects. This is called edema or swelling