Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Early Bronze Age Canaan; development of city-states
"Dawn of History" first evidence of writing and organized city life in Mesopotamia and Egypt
Late Bronze Age Canaan
"Amarna Age" in Egypt
Pharaoh Ramses II rules Egypt
Memorial Stone of Pharaoh Memeptah: first mention of an "Israel" in Canaan
Tribal Confederation: Period of the Judges
Kingship of David
Kingship of Solomon
The Yahwist source composed in the southern kingdom of Judah
- Elohist source
- composed in the northern kingdom of Israel
Assyrians destroy Samaria, capital of Northern Kingdom(Israel)
Babylonians destroy Jerusalem, capital of Southern Kingdom (judah)
Cyrus of Persia conquers Babylon
Dedication of teh rebuilt Temple in Jerusalem
Alexander the Great conquers Persian Empire
Roman army under Pompey takes Jerusalem
- Northern Kingdom "Israel"
- highlands of samaria
- patriarch JAcob(Israel), his 12 sons, and the Twelve Tribes
- Southern Kingdom "Judah"
- highlands of judah
- abraham and Isaac
Elohist E source
- elohim is the name for God
- written 900-850 BCE in the northern kingdom of Israel after split of United Monarchy into two kingdoms
- focus on "fear of god" and the "covenantal community "
- shared prophetic concerns of early northern prophets
Deuteronomist D source
- after destruction of Northern kingdom by Assyrians(722BCE) northern legislative material migrates south and is written down
- a priest in the court of King Josiah in Judah discovers book in 622 BCE
Yahwist or J source
- Yahweh is the name for God
- written in 960-930 BCE in the southern kingdom of Judah
- author may have been a scrive in King solomon's court
- national epic for the newly created united monarchy
Priestly or Psource
- written in 550-450 BCE by Aaronid priests in exile in Babylon, or early post-Exilic period.
- legal and ritual traditions perserved in the South
- focus on family and the temple practices the priesthood, and sacrifical rituals
- exodus and leviticus
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview