chapter 9 (?'s 11- )
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Compare Byzantine political structure to China
- -Emperors were classified as dvine
- -Merchants didn;t gain a lot of power
- -Aristocrats were oredominated
- -Women ruled sometimes
- -Emperor was allowed to make secular laws and appoint bishops
Compare development of civilization in East and West Europe
- -Both spread North
- - started with polytheism that started with monotheism
- -east developed by trade
- -west developed by conquest
- -both booked back to Greco-Roman for inspiration
- -Eastern was more advanced
- -different styles of christianity
- -new trading activities brought north
- -west developed around Roman Empire, East branched away
How did the Russian Orthodox Church develop?
- -One kievan princes switched to orthodox christianity and it blended
- -forced to convert
- -church leaders: imported from Byzantium and helped train illiterate Russians priesthood
What were the factors of the decline of the Byzantine?
- -mever recovered from battle
- -turkish invaders
- -inadequate rulers after Justinian
- -Italian armies gained control of Constantinople
- -Crusaders by Venetian merchants weakened imperial structure
How did the Byzantine empire differ from Roman Empire?
- -different churches
- -combined church and gov't (byzantine)
- -byzantine adopted more Hellenistic and spoke more Greek
- -helped rebuild Constantinople and made it more classical
- -unified law (organized and justice system)
- -military advances
- -Hagia Sophia
- -advancements in art and architecture
- -increased bureaucracy
What led to the split between the Western and Eastern Christianity?
- -different rituals
- -priest remained in celibacy or not
- -excommunicated patriach and follwers => patriarch excommunicated all Roman Catholics
- -states and religion was combined
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview