The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Made of two or more elements, whole# ratio, formula,
- H2O, CH4, NaCl, C2H4O2, C6H12O6
electrons transferred from metal to non-metals, cation(+) and anion(-), electrostatic attraction
What are covalent compounds?
- they are compounds that share electrons by non-metals,
- H2, O2, H2O, CH4, C3H8
- compounds form to give atoms 8 electrons, isoelectronic with noble gas, Lewis dot,
- Group 1A lose 1 e-, M+, cations,
- 2A lose 2 e-, M2+
- 3A lose 3 e-, M3+
- 7A (halogens) gain 1 e-, X-, anions,
- 6A gain 2 e-, X2-
M+ cations get smaller, X-anions get larger ionic radius
M+X-, electrostatic opposite charges, salt, hard, crystalline, high mp, crystal pattern, MxAy, ratio, total charge 0, balanced, MgCl2, Na2S, name: metal nonmetalide, halide, oxide, nitride, Al2O3, variable charge metals, Fe, 2+ or 3+, Cu, 1+ or 2+, use I, II, or III in names.