attached superiorly to the nasal bones and inferiorly to the anterior nasal spine
the wall that divides the nasal complex into right and left halves
Nasal cavity has 3 Shelves
1. Superior nasal concha
2. Middle nasal concha
3. Inferior nasal concha
Septum formed from
1. Vomer bone
2. Portion of the Ethmoid bone
3. Fibro cartilaginous part of the septum
surgery can be done by going through the nose and removing roof of the sphenoid sinus
The nasal cavity is the beginning of the respiratory tract. Long noses for cold climates and short flat noses for hot climates.
found in the nasal cavity. They have tiny goblet cells that secrete sticky mucous to trap contaminates and then move contaminates forward to blow nose. Sneezing to let it out. At night flow back for postnasal drip.
in the roof of the nasal cavity, which has nerve fibers that perceive odors. In the area of the superior conchae.
Paranasal sinuses- there are 4 pairs of these sinuses.
1. 2 ethmoids( Ethmoid air cells) divided into 1) Anterior 2) Middle 3) posterior ethmoids.
2. 2 frontal ( frontal bone) drain into the hiatus semilunaris
3. 2 maxillaries(The largest)
4. 2 sphenoids( body of he sphenoid) drains into sphenoethmoidal recess.
the area of the lateral nasal wall sheltered underneath each conchae. Tears flow out from the inferior meatus thru the nasolacrimal duct. Superior meatus is the smallest meatus.
1. Largest of the paranasal sinuses.
2. At birth it is a small pea size, and then grows with you.
3. Expands from the canine to 3rd molar region.
4. May have compartment walls.
5. Openings for sinus are at the top, making it difficult to drain.
6. Tilting the head forward increases the pressure.
7. Laying down allows some drainage.
8. With an infection the opening closes up.
9. An ENT sometimes punches a hole in the inferior meatus for drainage.
10. Toothache sometimes maybe sinus problem. Take a PA x-ray and BW x-ray to check for cavity and sinus.
11. The nerves that supply the posterior teeth also supply the maxillary sinus.
12. When maxillary posterior teeth are extracted, the sinus may move down, this can be a problem for implants.