The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
indications for glucocorticoids?
- SLE (lupus)
- allergy disorders
adverse effects of glucocorticoids
- adrenal insufficiency
- ^ risk for infection
- muscle wasting
- thin skin
- F/E imbalance
- glucose intolerance
drug interactions with glucocorticoids?
- insulin, hypoglycemics
- thiazide and loop diuretics
special implications re: glucocorticoids?
- never stop abruptly
- need higher doses @ times of stress
s/sx of RA?
- autoimmune inflammatory disorder
- joint stiffness & pain
- swollen, tenderness, warm
disease modifying antirheumatic drugs
drug therapy for RA? first choice?
sulfasalazine (Azulfidine). indications? actions? side fx?
- RA or IBD
- slows progression of joint deterioration
- side fx: GI upset, rash, urticaria
methotrexate: adverse fx?
- GI ulcers
- bone marrow suppressionhepatic fibrosis
nursing implications for methotrexate?
- monitor kidney and liver function.
- (causes bone marrow suppression)
hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil): uses, adverse effects?
- rheumatoid arthritis
- *monitor for visual disturbances.common to have retinal damage
enteracept (Enbrel)- treatment for? adverse fx?
- TNF blocker.
- delays progression of joint damage
- administered subQ
- adverse fx from injections. local site reaction, infx
Colchicine: indications, side fx, contraindications?
- used for acute gouty attacks (if safer drugs dont work)
- use with caution in cardiac, renal, GI diseases
- gout treatment
- inhibits uric acid production
- *may prolong halflife of other drugs
increases excretion of uric acid