COMM Ch 8, 9, 10
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How to organize a good interview?
- Funnel schedule:
- start with an easy opening
- questions in the middle
- conclude by letting the interviewee ask any questions
have a straightforward answer
require more than just a yes or no answer
only one answer
intended to illicit an emotional response
intended to get the person to reflect on what he or she has said and expand on it
intended to get the person to reveal more about how they feel
2 people meet to solve a dilemma
designed to provide support and advice
- like a performance review.
- helps the interviewee see the strengths and weaknesses of their performance
Risky Shift Phenomenon
decisions reached by a group a more risky than that decision would've been by a single person.
blind commitment to some faulty ideas, because some group members are too afraid to voice their opinion.
6 Phases of Group Forming
- 1. Forming
- 2. Norming - getting to know each other
- 3. Storming - disagreements in the beginning or conflicts in the middle
- 4. Conforming - work actively towards a common goal.
- 5. Performing
- 6. Adjourning
Voting Methods: Plurality
the idea with the most votes wins
Voting Methods: Part-of-the-whole Voting
- a certain percentage of votes needs to be reached before a movement is passed
- can be any percentage
those who don't say anything during the decision-making process will still be held accountable for the decision that is reached
Centralized Group Communication Networks
- all communication flows to the leader
- good for simple problems
Decentralized Group Communication Networks
- ideas flow freely
- better for complex problems
leader dominates and directs group towards his/her personal goals
leader wants group to accomplish goals that the group wants
leader is nondirective and lets group members do their own thing
offering a selection of choices, all of them bad
- this leader can change both the behavior and the
- outlook of his or her followers.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview