The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is one of the meanings of Critical thinking?
"Critical thinking in nursing practice is a dicipline specific, reflective reasoning process that guides a nurse in generating, implementing, and evaluating approaches for dealing with client care and professional concerns."
What is creativity?
Thinking that results in the development of new ideas and products. Creativity in problem solving and decision making is the ability to develop and implement new and better solutions.
The two complex mental processes that require cognitive critical-thinking skills are?
Problem solving and decision making skills
______ ______ is a technique one can use to look beneath the surface, recognize and examine assumptions, search for inconsistencies, examine multiple points of view, and differentiate what knows from what one merely believes.
In ______ ______, generalizations are formed from a set of facts or observations.
______ ______, by contrast, is reasoning from the general premise to the specific conclusion.
Name some of the attitudes or traits that a critical thinker would develop?
- Independence: requires that individuals think for themselves
- Fair-Mindedness: assessing all viewpoints with the same standards and not basing their judgments on personal or group bias or prejudice.
- Insight: are open to the possibility that their personal biases or social pressures and customs could unduly affect their thinking.
- Intellectual Humility: means having an awareness of the limits of one's own knowledge.
- Intellectual courage: one is willing to consider and examine fairly one's own ideas or views, especially those to which one may have a strongly negative reaction.
- Integrity: requires that individuals apply the same rigorous standards of proff to their own knowledge and beliefs as they apply to the knowledge and beliefs of others
- Perserverance: In finding effective solutions to client and nursing problems
- Confidence: believe that will-reasoned thinking will lead to trustworthy conclusions.
- Curiosity: is filled with questions.
The _____ _____ is a systematic, rational method of planning and providing individualized nursing care. The phases of the nursing process; assessing, diagnosing, planning, implementing, and evaluating
What are the commonly used approaches to problem solving?
- Trial and error: a number of approaches are tried until a solution is found
- Intuition: the understanding or learning of things without the conscious use of reasoning. It is known are as sixth sense, hunch, instinct, feeling, or suspicion.
- Research process: a formalized logical, systematic approach to solving problem
- Scientific/modified method: is most useful when the researcher is working with people in controlled situation.
_____ _____ is a critical-thinking process for choosing the best actions to meet a desired goal.
What are the sequential steps to the decision-making process?
- identify the purpose
- Set the criteria
- Weight the criteria
- Seek alternatives
- Examine alternatives
- Evaluate the outcome