Tech 201 Ch 16 - Islam
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Islam is the ____ largest religion and fastest growing.
Lived in Mecca
Got Along well with people (Replacing black stone in Ka’ba)
Worked as a merchant and took trade caravans through the Middle East (married his boss, Khadijah)
Religious/contemplative young man who, in 610, was confused about religion and went into the mountains to pray.
Exact words of God to in Arabic (as recited to Mohammed by the Angel Gabriel)
Means “reading” or “recitation”
No plot or story
It is a collection of revelations arranged in 114 sections (surahs)
Discusses doctrine, social behavior, afterlife.
What was the new way of praying that Mohammed taught?
Open hands before the face
What are the 5 pillars of islamic belief?
- Belief in Allah and Mohammed as his prophet
- Pray 5 times daily
- Pay alms of 2.5% of income
- Fast during month of Ramada
- Haj or pilgrimage to Mecca once in a lifetime
Sunnis had the majority following and now ____% of Muslims are Sunnis with less than ____% Shi’ites
What are the 6 Sunni/Shia Articles of Faith?
- Belief in God (Allah), the one and only one worthy of all worship.
- Belief in all the Prophets and Messengers sent by God
- Belief in the Angels.
- Belief in the Books sent by God (including the Qur'an).
- Belief in the Day of Judgment and in the Resurrection of the dead.
- Belief in Destiny (Divine Foreknowledge)
What is the definition of Jihad?
Suffering or struggle
What would be considered personal Jihad?
repentance or striving for righteousness
What would Jihad mean on a group level?
- People must unite
- Must not kill innocents
- Must not be suicide
What does Islam believe about the new testament?
New Testament has been corrupted (Christ is great prophet, but not son of God)
What does Islam believe about Christ?
Christ did not die but was “translated” and will come again to battle evil and call all to Islam
What are some parallels of Islam to Mormonism?
- Religion is a complete way of life
- Frequent prayer
- Worship at mosque dressed in white
- Dress and modesty
- Health and diet (no pork, alcohol)
- Month of Fasting (Ramadan)
- Emphasis on Education
What are some appeals of Islam?
- Practical religion
- Life commitment
- No complicated doctrine
- Religion of Abraham
- Compassion and mercy appealed to downtrodden
- Compelling story
Spain (conquest and then exile)
Caliphate (but not related to Mohammed)
Caliphate (related to Mohammed)
Little interest in conquest
Signed agreement with Byzantine emperor
High cultural point for Islam
Sunni (initially supported by Shi’ite)
Cut off access to Jerusalem
Defeated by the crusaders
Defeated by Mongols
Conquered Constantinople in 1453 AD
Islamic tile work uses ____________ to create patterns that can be extended indefinitely without repitition
symmetrical polygonal shapes
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview