The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- 1. The quality of being proper; appropriateness
- 2. Conformity to prevailing customs and privelages
- 3. The usages and customs of polite society
Drearily commonplace and often predictable
- 1. Ill-tempered and quarrelsome; disagreeable
- 2. Difficult to handle
A buubling reaction
- 1. The state or quality of being light, bouyant
- 2. Lightness of manner or speech, especially when inappropriate
- 3. Inconsistency; changeableness
- 1. Trim and stylish in appearance
- 2. Vivacious; high spirited
- 3. Impudently bold; saucy
- To speak badly about someone to damage their reputation
- Ex: Political opponents often traduce eachother in order to gain votes.
- 1. To make certain or precise
- 2. To discover with certainty through experimentation or observation
- Easily angered
- Ex: The choleric child threw temper tantrums very often.
- 1. A group of associates or attendants
- 2. One's environment or surroundings
- Ex: The entourage of the mountains was breathtaking.
The attendants or servants surrounding a high-ranking person
- 1. To feel strong disapproval for; to condemn
- 2. To express grief over; to bemoan
A roughly built shack
Surrogate (v) (n)
- (v)1. To appoint a subsitute
- (n)2. A subsitute
- To imitate
- Ex: My little brother often emulates my actions, which irks me greatly.
- A frank admission or acknowledgement
- His avowal left me stunned, for I had not expected him to comply so quickly.
Slough (n) (v)
- (n) 1. A depression often filled with mud
- 2. A state of despair and depression
- (v)3. To shed or cast off; to come off
- Cumbersome; burdening
- Ex: The cumbrous backpack left me sweating less than halfway to the top of the mountain.
- 1. Lasting actively for a long time
- The perennial plant bloomed for ten years before dying.
- 2. Appearing again and again; recurring
- 1. Implied or understood but not directly expressed
- 2. Having no doubts or reservations; unquestionable
- Ex: The implicit results of the person's actions caused seven people to be injured severely.