List and describe these tools of biotechnology: selection, mutation, restriction enzymes, agarose gel electrophoresis, cloning vectors, PCR
- Biotechnology: use of microorganisms to make a product
- Selection: Culture naturally occurring microbes that produce a desired product
- Mutation: use mutagens to cause mutations that might result in a microbe with a desirable trait
- Restriction enzymes: cut DNA at specific points, crucial for recombinant DNA. Highly specific.
- Agarose gel electrophoresis: Used as DNA fingerprinting
- Cloning vectors: Self-replicating DNA used to carry the desired gene into a new cell
- PCR: makes multiple copies of a piece of DNA