The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Bona Fide (adj)
- Extremely thing
- Ex: The anorexic dancers looked like they would be blown away by a breeze.
The plurality of evidence convinced the jury that the defendant was guilty.
- Resembling a palace in being spacious and splendid
- Ex: The palatial house of the governor must have cost millions of dollars to build.
- Designed to be useful or practical instead of attractive
- My makeshift bookshelf was meant to be utilitarian; it may not look good, but it works as well as any other one.
- Characterized by having a government with absolute rule or control
- Ex: The totalitarian country was ruled by a dictator who made sure that each and every command was obeyed and carried out meticulously.
- 1. Immoral behaviour that one does when others are not present
- Ex: The child's vice was condemned and he lost his cell phone for a week.
- 2. A subsitute
- To divide into portions and then distribute
- Ex: The company parcelled the remnants of their supplies of computers, and waited for more to be delivered.
- Outspoken; blunt, to the point
- Ex: His plainspoken attitude caused others to see him as a person without a
- 1. A government with total power
- 2. A regime based on such a government
- I wished for a car for Christmas; in lieu I received a matchbox plastic car.
- A witty remark
- Ex: The boy with all the witticisms got in a lot of trouble in school for being fresh with the teachers.
- 1. Intolerable; unbearable
- 2. Showing unbearable arrogance or conceit
Introducing a statement that is contrary to a previous one
- 1. Unable to keep still or silent and becoming increasingly dificult to control
- 2. Refusing to advance, stubbornly standing still, or moving sideways oir backwards
To ride a bike without pedalling
To make a person look smarter or neater
In a devout and pious manner